Weight Gain After VSG?

ArmyWifeandMommy
on 3/30/11 8:10 am
I am just curious since there is not a whole lot of info on this but has anybody heard of or been the one to gain weight back after VSG?  Also I know we can stretch our stomachs out a little but not much right?  Will we ever lose the restriction?  I am just curious because the more I research this the weirder info I am getting.

sublimate
on 3/30/11 8:14 am - San Jose, CA
I've seen a lot of folks on the boards say they have gained weight after VSG. Usually they say it's because they started eating too many processed carbs and/or stopped exercising.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

davidbu4054
on 3/30/11 8:20 am - AR
according to my dr yes you can streach out your stomach.  this is a life style change.  you dont want to go back to eating like you did before. as long as you eat like we are suppost to and exercising like we are suppost to you dont need to worry so much.  everyone cheats sometime.  just dont make a habit of it. when you feel like overeating or starting bad habits just remember how you felt before surgery and why we all had this surgery.  a second chance on life.

Ms Shell
on 3/30/11 8:23 am - Hawthorne, CA
EXACTLY what sublimate wrote.  Just know you CAN eat AROUND any of the WLS out there.  There is not one yet that controls the brain and WHY we eat and why we CHOOSE the foods that we do.

If you are hell bent on doing the "wrong" things you CAN gain weight.  Also I "think" I have a rather large stomach compared to most and I can ONLY eat about 6-8oz of food total.  Now that doesn't mean in a couple hours I can't eat AGAIN...example of how some eat around surgery.  Ex for lunch today I had a chicken thigh and a couple bites of more chicken and a salad I'm stuffed.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

E velyn
on 3/30/11 8:38 am
 Sassy Ms. Shell my dear!  Long time, long time!  So good  to see your face.

BTW, I still celebrate Shelluary - in your honor.  Seriously.  

Ev

Ms Shell
on 3/31/11 2:14 am - Hawthorne, CA
OMG Evelyn....where the heck have you been!!  Thank you for celebrating =)  How are you?

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

sublimate
on 3/30/11 8:37 am - San Jose, CA
I'm a total carb addict too.. as Brandilynn says I was a total stove toucher for so long. I'd eat low carb, then think I was "OK" to have just a little bit of something, like even strawberries, and I'd always start binging.. eat too much of it and then deal with days, weeks and even months of picking myself up off the floor and putting myself back on the wagon.

So I said enough with this insanity, I don't want to live this life anymore. It's not worth it to me to eat what I want and feel crazy all the time, because I'm a slave to my raging cravings for carbs and I don't feel good physically or mentally.

So more than 6 years ago I began being abstinent to carbs outside of those you'd get in low carb veggies, nuts and dairy, and I held a strict low carb abstinence for 3 years. I felt very at peace at that time, lost 150 pounds and was feeling good.

But then I was very badly sexually harassed at a job and betrayed by my co-workers and shortly after that my mother passed away and I fell into a depression that lasted 1.5 years and I put every pound back on. I stopped exercising first, and then eventually I fell back into the food for a while, and it took me many months to drag myself back out of it.

This is why I am so rigid and protective about my abstinence now (and sometimes called a carb nazi because of it - although I prefer carb conscious).. because for me it's not just a matter of, try again tomorrow. It often takes me months to get OUT of trouble if I let myself get IN trouble.

It all starts with something seemingly innocent and then ends with me in a carb coma and back on the carb crack pipe. I have now been low carb abstinent for 15+ months and I plan on staying this way indefinitely. I've learned that for ME abstinence is the only way to go.

For me true deprivation is living for food the way I do when I am into the carbs, rather than living for all of the other things in LIFE. I recognize that for me there is nothing healthy, physically or mentally about those foods and I can do without them and be perfectly happy.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

pcannedy
on 3/30/11 8:38 am - Sacramento, CA
I have been at the same weight for the past few weeks, go up and down within 3 lbs.  But as far as gaining all my weight; no I do not want go back to eating the way I use to.  I purchased a donut that I use to eat the whole thing.  I could only eat a little of it.  Head hunger causes to want the food of our former habits.  It is important that we control our stress and emotions to avoid eating carbs.  If I eat a little of something high in carbs, the next day I eat protein and not carbs. 

njmom5870
on 3/30/11 9:02 am
There is a woman in my support group who had RNY 5 years ago and gained all the weight back!  WLS is a tool, nothing takes the place of eating right and exercising!! 

Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

peggy1109
on 3/30/11 10:42 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I noticed you had lap band and had it removed and got the sleeve.  I have had my band for 5 years and I'm considering having it removed.  I am slightly bulimic and I dilated my esophagus and my band slipped and I got a hiatal hernia from the band being too tight.  I'm just now considering the sleeve.  I'm not sure if it is right for me or if insurance pays for it.  Any advice?
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views