Scared to Have Surgery.... again!!

msangie76
on 4/3/11 7:45 am
I had the lap band and had a terrible experience.  I vomited everyday and had trouble with certain foods going through, and when I was under alot of stress in my life my band slipped.  I thought I was gonna die, it was the worst experience I have ever been through!!  I am a lot better and healthy, the only problem is most of the weight is back!!  I have researched other weight loss surgeries and decided I want the sleeve, but I am scared to go through another surgery. I know it will be rough at first but  I don't want to go through the vomiting and bad things I went through with the band for months and years post op.  Has anyone had troubles with the sleeve....like vomiting, or food getting stuck?  If I go through with this surgery I want to make sure I know what to expect!! 
Drea408
on 4/3/11 7:47 am - CA
Well i am only 13 days post op but i can tell you i have not vomited. The first fews days were tuff as far as nausea for me but overall experience has been good. Gets better each and every day.

sleeve genie
on 4/3/11 7:49 am - Alhambra, CA
I didn't have the band but LOTs of people on here started out with the band and they LOVE their sleeve.  Tiffykins says the difference is like night and day.  She is much happier with her sleeve and all the other band/sleeve revisions are too.  I'm sure a lot of them will respond, most are probably out and about right now.  I think you will be much happier.   I have had no problems ever with my sleeve.  Never threw up,  never got anything stuck.  :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Momof2Sweeties
on 4/3/11 7:51 am - NJ
Personally, I have had no vomiting ever, since my surgery. I have had issues with food getting stuck when I eat to fast or take a bite that is too big and not chewing well. When this happens, I know it right away, and I obviously stop eating and let the food pass which can take anywhere from 10 min to a half hour. The most important thing to remember is everyone is different and every surgery is different. Prior to my sleeve I had 4 abdominal surgeries with no problems at all. My sleeve was the worst surgical experience in terms of waking up and having horrific gas pain. But that's my experience, some people have said they had no pain at all. It's all relative and highly individualized so just try to remember that when listening to other people's experiences.

Shannon

Jeep1974
on 4/3/11 7:53 am - MI
I have had thr sleve since Jan 25 and have not vomited yet. and nothing has gotten stuck either!

BuckeyeGirl
on 4/3/11 8:15 am - TN
I had the band just under 3 years. It would randomly tighten up despite a million unfills and I was vomiting frequently. I could rarely eat any food of substance without getting that terrible stuck feeling. I couldn't even always drink water successfully. Then when I had to have it unfilled, I gained back nearly everything I had lost.

So, now I have the sleeve and I haven't vomited once with the sleeve. When I get full it feels more natural and not at all like a "stuck" feeling.

For me the sleeve has been SO MUCH better! Plus I actually feel like each pound I lose this time is gone for good.

Good luck,
Lindsey

seemel3
on 4/3/11 8:31 am - FL
I am sorry to hear you have had such a rough time.  I am fortunate, I have never vomited, I did have nausea immediately post op but the nurses were great and kept trying to find the right med to get rid of it.  I am 8 months out, down 92 lbs, and have ABSOLUTELY no regrets.  There are a few people in our support group with similar issues, our surgeons do a lot of revisions, the folks who have gone from band to sleeve are very happy and successful.  Best of luck to you.
Mel

"Every set back is a set up for a come back" J. Osteen

BigCaliSmile
on 4/3/11 8:48 am - La Puente, CA
havent vomited yet.. however felt very uncomfortable when eating too fast.. just remember take your time as you heal..
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
wanttobehalfofme
on 4/3/11 9:28 am - MI
I was told to chew your food a least 25 times or until is paste like consistency and eat very slowly. That helps with food not to get stuck.
njmom5870
on 4/3/11 10:49 am
I too had the band and had a full slip a little less than 3 months after I had it placed.  I was in the hospital for 3 days in screaming pain before they figured out it was a full slip and took it out!  NO ONE understands that pain and what it does to you.....but you are one of the 'unlucky' few. 

I tried so hard to keep the weight I lost off but it came back on.  I even was in therapy with a therapist who specializes in people with food issues.
After a year, I made the decision to jump into WLS again and was a little 'gun shy'...with good reason.

I was a freakin mess the day of the surgery...they had to drug me even before they brought me back to the OR. 

I can tell you that the recovery is much more involved but it's a walk in the park compared to the feeling of a full slip or getting food stuck.

I now eat normally (but get full quickly)and have no problems.  In the 13 weeks since surgery, I vomited ONCE and it was because I ate and drank at the same time...so totally my fault.  The sleeve is a NORMAL way of life.  No horrible food stuck feeling or vomited for no reason.  All you do it get full quick and stay full longer.....there is no secret to this.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message :)

I have lost 56 pounds in 13 weeks.....I am thrilled about it.  Every day it gets better and better.  All you have to do is following the 'rules' and enjoy life!! 
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

Most Active