Help need advice, blood in drain!

cherubchic85
on 4/18/11 6:22 pm
Hi all, I'm waiting for a call back from the on call surgeon, but no luck yet. Anyhow, I need advice. As you may know I have a leak. I have had this jp drain in for aver 3 weeks. It was draining clear yellow up until now. I started having increased abdominal pain yesterday, and I just woke up to find that there is red red red blood in the drain. I'm freaking out. The on call service won't page the dr till the top of the next hour, which is still over 30 min from now. It's not gushing blood or anything, but it's a sudden change and it looks like it's all that's coming into it now. Anyone heard of this before?

cherubchic85
on 4/18/11 7:28 pm
Ok, dr called back and said that my jp drain may be rubbing on something causing the pain and bleeding. He said it's ok to wait it out as long as the pain doesn't become unbearable or I start draining large amounts of blood. Yay fun stuff!!!!!
Nurse_Audrey
on 4/18/11 8:09 pm - Houston, TX
If it was myself I would def keep track of how much blood and over how long! Like say 5 ml an hour or whatever is coming just to make sure it doesnt get worse. I'm glad your doctor called back. It's always best to ask the doc which I know you already know. I hope you get better real soon. I'm pulling for you!

Dandy_DeeDee
on 4/18/11 8:37 pm

I sure hope all of this resolves for you soon, you've been through so much.  We're routing for you! 

I'm also glad the doctor called you back.  Take care and get well soon!

Highest Registered Weight 369 lbs (but I weighed more, just didn't have a scale! *Giggles*)
Surgery 12/23/10 - 313 lbs Then had a 6 lb gain from having surgery! So I went up to 319
Current Registered Weight 208 lbs   “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” ~ Kahlil Gibran          

Carmelita
on 4/18/11 9:15 pm - Four Corners, NM
Oh man...scary! So glad you got in touch with yer doc!  I think this happened with yer first drain right..some blood in it.  Just be watchful do you see him today? perhaps drain is too close to leak and needs to be adjusted some.....Im sure the doc told ya to be watchful if it filled w/ blood and to get to an ER!! I hope!

Uggghhhh!! Hang in there Cherub!! easy for me to say huh!

I can't wait for ya to get past this!  Please PLEASE keep postin away!!  Let's get THROUGH this together!! Yer family for pete's sake!!
godknowsican
on 4/18/11 9:22 pm - MD
cattywompos
on 4/18/11 10:50 pm
Funny, I was just thinking of you and wondering how things were going.  Glad to hear that it is not anything serious going on with the drain. Wishing you continues recovery from your leak!!  ((hugs))

Michell
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

prairiegurl
on 4/18/11 10:53 pm - Canada
Oh boy , I feel for you!  I too had a leak, but I had to undergo another surgery to fix it.  Is your doctor hoping yours just heals, or is he going to fix it for you?  I can't imagine a drain for 3 weeks, 1 week was bad enough.  Keep us posted how you are doing!
cherubchic85
on 4/18/11 11:17 pm
Hey prairiegurl,
I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with this too. I've avtually been dealing with this leak since the beginning (4 months). I've had 3 surgeries now total where my dr tries to go in, but nothing works, so we are on the wait it out and let it heal itself path again. I had my other 2 drains in for about 6 weeks when they both finally fell out after the stitches ripped through. What surgery did your dr do to fix it? Did it work?

prairiegurl
on 4/19/11 4:24 am - Canada
Oh boy, you have been through the wringer!  I was fortunate that when I had the flouroscopy test after my surgery it was caught right away, and I had surgery twice before I left the hospital.  I had a staple failure, and eventhough I have a very nasty 4 inch scar , I did get my leak fixed right away.  Hope all turns around for you soon!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 53 views