Stretching out the new tiny tummy?!?!

hmd77
on 4/26/11 5:08 am - KY
Is it possible? I have done so much research and I am still conflicted. My Dr says there is no proof that the new tiny tummy can be stretched out, but I find tons of websites that claim it will stretch.  It was my understanding that they cut out most of the stretchy part (32bg) and the part that is left has little to no stretch in it.

Anyone have more info on this topic??

Thanks in advance!

Surgery Date  6/6/2011
Bluegrass Bariatrics
Dr. John Oldham
Add me on FB -  http://www.facebook.com/heavenly12b

cattywompos
on 4/26/11 5:11 am
It is debatable and I don't think there really is a good answer.  I am banking on the theory that it can't stretch as much.  I think it could to some degree, but what is left can only stretch so far and it will never be as big as it used to be.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

hmd77
on 4/26/11 5:14 am - KY
I am banking on that too.. LOL :P

Surgery Date  6/6/2011
Bluegrass Bariatrics
Dr. John Oldham
Add me on FB -  http://www.facebook.com/heavenly12b

Babynesh05
on 4/26/11 5:35 am - Germany
 I honestly think it stretches a teensy bit but not significant enought that it effects us.. I have met a lot of people especially on these boards and they only eat maybe 1 or 2 more oz than me.. after a couple of years.. I am not worried about the stretching as long as you are doing what you are supposed to be doing you should be just fine..

GW 1: 200 COMPLETED! 193-Feb 15th 2011
GW 2: 160 COMPLETED! 160-May 12th 2011
GW 3: 140 COMPLETED! 140-June 17th 2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 5:37 am
It is my understanding that the stomach can stretch to some degree.  At first our stomach is swollen and is very tight, it takes about three months for it to heal.  Than again at six months, most people can eat more food and then again at about a year, I felt a huge difference.  I am now two years out, and I can eat a great deal more than I could that first year.  Now, it is true that if I only eat dry dense protein, I can only eat about 4-5 oz. but very few people only eat dry dense protein this far out.  I can easily eat close to 8 oz o food at this point.  I have a friend who is over five years out and he tells me that he can eat a normal size meal.  He can't eat a huge Thanksgiving type meal, but a normal meal, sure, no problem.  What this means to me is that we get a "honeymoon" in which to lose most or all of our weight, when the surgery does most of the work for us, the rest is up to us.  This is why I personally only wanted the smallest boughie size I could get, as the parts of the stomach that are left behind continue to stretch.  Some people say, well the difference is only a few spoonfuls, but that is only true in the beginning, later, those spoonfuls stretch out to more and more spoonfuls.  I also wanted a surgeon that knows how to make a very tight stomach, there is much more involved then just boughie size.  Technique is still very individualized with this surgery, and each surgeon has their own.  This surgery is not at all standardized yet.  That worries me quite a bit.  I am doing everything I can to maximize my chances of success.  I chose a surgeon who is known for making very small, tight sleeves, I maximized my honeymoon period and I don't over eat whenever possible in order to not stretch out my sleeve.  I will know more in three more years.  I believe that only those that are five or more years out can really tell us how well this is working for them.  This is a very interesting thread.
Carmelita
on 4/26/11 5:51 am - Four Corners, NM
carleneyy
on 4/26/11 5:54 am

I saw my PCP yesterday & spoke to him re: VSG & how I am almost done with the 6 month dietitian visits, then we spoke about the VSG and he said he has two patients right now that have stretched their stomaches. I told him how it was debatable on the bareatric boards. He informed me that yes it happens, and that it is very real.

Carmelita
on 4/26/11 6:16 am - Four Corners, NM
carleneyy
on 4/26/11 7:57 am
It was my PCP who said this, not my soon to be surgeon. He has patients who have stretched stomaches & that was the question, was it possible, & it is.  I wasn't going to ask him for a scientific study when it was a light conversation.  I would just try not to over indulge.
aintstoppin
on 4/26/11 10:20 am - NH
 I am confuse as to how he knows his patient's sleeves expanded.  Is there a test?  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views