Still think you need to kill yourself with cardio? Think again....pic heavy

Mandyplus2 ..
on 5/6/11 1:45 am - GA
***Disclaimer: I am not knocking cardio for those who enjoy it and it certainly has cardiovascular benefits. If you like it, do it.

Now, for those who have watched too much The Biggest Loser and listened to all the so-called experts for years and years about how cardio is essential for fat loss, allow me to blow your mind. All you need is a caloric deficit to lose weight. I lost 90 lbs sitting on my butt the first 6 months after my VSG. 

To looked "toned," most forms of cardio (ie. treadmill, elliptical) ain't gonna do it. You will end up with the same shape but skinny-fat if you don't incorporate strength training into your routine. And to look "toned" (I hate that word), you need MUSCLES. That means lifting heavy. Your heavy, not anyone else's heavy. Ladies, you will NOT GET BULKY by lifting heavy because you lack the testosterone needed to support that kind of muscle development. But you WILL be wasting your time if you lift light. Forget what you've read about light weights with high reps and lift like a man. You won't be sorry.

I do almost no cardio but look more fit than many people who can easily outrun me. My goal was to look fit and so that people would look at me and think "wow, she works out." Goal achieved!! I spend a total of 3-4 hours a week lifting. That's 3-4 days a week, one hour sessions each. That's almost nothing, espeically when you consider half of that time is spent resting between sets.

I can't even begin to adequatly explain how much weight lifting has given me. A sense of confidence, strength (both mental and physical), a feeling of accomplishment, it is teaching me patience and discipline, and it provides me with an on-going goal past just losing weight. It gives me something healthy to focus on, espeically important now that I'm at maintenance.

So for those of you with dreams of one day looking "toned," pick up those weights. You might fall in love with it like I have. And this is coming from someone who HATES HATES HATES exercise, especially any form of cardio.

5'8" - 40 years old

borntobethin35
on 5/6/11 1:47 am - VA
Dang you look great. Can I ask you what your routine is? When do you start incorporating weights?
carleneyy
on 5/6/11 1:49 am
Straight yoked!
Mandyplus2 ..
on 5/6/11 1:55 am, edited 5/6/11 1:56 am - GA
I did not start lifting until I was almost 7 months out.

I am currently in the process of changing some of my lifts, but my routine now (roughly) is:

Press day
dips
overhead shoulder dumb bell (db) press
lateral raises or flies
push ups (changing to bench press)
*going to add reverse pec deck for rear delts because I need to bring them up a bit
core/abs: planks

squat day (I have a disc that ruptures so traditional squats are out, but that's the best leg exercise you can do)
tricep v-bar pressdown
db lunges (switching to front squats)
bulgarian split squats db
leg extension
abs: leg raises

pull day
pullups
seated row (changing to bent over db row)
cable face pull
hammer curl
upright row (sometimes)
abs: weighted decline crunches (started with just body weight of course)

lift day
bb bicep curl
high and wide stance leg press (hams)
lying leg curl (hams)
seated leg curl (hams)
active rests: push ups

5'8" - 40 years old

PaulaS
on 5/6/11 1:50 am - TX
Great job!    

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Jenijeni
on 5/6/11 1:52 am
Whoa baby! You look great!! Good job, mama!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Jennifer M.
on 5/6/11 1:55 am, edited 5/6/11 4:00 am - Goodyear, AZ
***Disclaimer: I am not knocking cardio for those who enjoy it and it certainly has cardiovascular benefits. If you like it, do it.

Now, for those who have watched too much The Biggest Loser and listened to all the so-called experts for years and years about how cardio is essential for fat loss, allow me to blow your mind. All you need is a caloric deficit to lose weight. I lost 90 lbs sitting on my butt the first 6 months after my VSG. 

To looked "toned," most forms of cardio (ie. treadmill, elliptical) ain't gonna do it. You will end up with the same shape but skinny-fat if you don't incorporate strength training into your routine. And to look "toned" (I hate that word), you need MUSCLES. That means lifting heavy. Your heavy, not anyone else's heavy. Ladies, you will NOT GET BULKY by lifting heavy because you lack the testosterone needed to support that kind of muscle development. But you WILL be wasting your time if you lift light. Forget what you've read about light weights with high reps and lift like a man. You won't be sorry.

I do almost no cardio but look more fit than many people who can easily outrun me. My goal was to look fit and so that people would look at me and think "wow, she works out." Goal achieved!! I spend a total of 3-4 hours a week lifting. That's 3-4 days a week, one hour sessions each. That's almost nothing, espeically when you consider half of that time is spent resting between sets.

I can't even begin to adequatly explain how much weight lifting has given me. A sense of confidence, strength (both mental and physical), a feeling of accomplishment, it is teaching me patience and discipline, and it provides me with an on-going goal past just losing weight. It gives me something healthy to focus on, espeically important now that I'm at maintenance.

So for those of you with dreams of one day looking "toned," pick up those weights. You might fall in love with it like I have. And this is coming from someone who HATES HATES HATES exercise, especially any form of cardio.

And I am 40 years old!!

...a work in progress...    
jengo1971
on 5/6/11 1:58 am
Hi Mandy.  Ok, my questions are 1)what did your triceps and thighs look like prior to lifting?  I have lots of excess skin in both of these areas and simply can't imagine them looking as awesome as yours even with massive wt lifting.  Just some info on me (in case that matters).  5'1", was obese for most of my life, 39 years young.   My body won't ever look like that without plastics.  What's your opinion?  2) Can you tell us about your routine or where to begin in regards to lifting?

I'll admit I'm kinda bummed right now because I've been busting my a$$ the past 7 weeks doing cardio.  I realize it won't really create lots of muscle but I thought maybe it would help with wt loss AND excess skin?  At least some...

You are simply hot!  and such an inspiration to us all.

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
Mandyplus2 ..
on 5/6/11 2:10 am, edited 5/6/11 2:13 am - GA
Thank you! Lemme see if I can find a pic of me around the time I started lifting. I have a comparison pic of me a couple months after I started lifting, then 6 months after that.

I do have some hanging skin and "crepe-y" skin on my arms from stretch marks. That's why I started lifting - to fill in as much skin as I can with muscles. I am actually weird in that I WANT huge muscles, but I know I will only get so big without *ahem* pharmeceutical "help."

(I posted my routine above)

Cardio does burn calories, but not as much as we think. For instance, yesterday I JOGGED for 30 minutes on the treadmill ( a rare occurance, believe me), was sweating bullets, and I'd say at my weight the most calories I burned was 250 if I'm lucky. I ate that in 3 tablespoons of peanut butter. lol

Cardio is way overhyped as far as fat loss goes, IMO, especially when one is already eating at a severely restricted caloric intake. Unless someone is doing hours and hours of cardio a day, they aren't burning that many calories. Every little bit helps, but to ME that little bit is not worth it except on occasion because I hate it so much.

If I were a personal trainer, I would base how much cardio people should do on a case-by-case basis. There are many factors to consider, IMO. But keep in mind that my goal is BODYBUILDING and not being able to run a 5K.

Keep in mind I lost like 30ish more pounds since I started lifting.

6 months progress and down 20 lbs during that 6 months

5'8" - 40 years old

Backinstride
on 5/6/11 2:01 am
The exercise therapist at my surgeons office started me on weight training before surgery . I love it.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views