So 8 weeks out KINDA and my journey thus far (very long)

Jamae623
on 5/11/11 6:10 am - Washington, DC
Well Peace and Blessings... Hello hello My OH Family,

So I haven't been feeling up to typing my journey up until this point but I am ready now.  I was suppose to have a follow up with my Dr today but he had me to reschedule so why not type :-)

So as some of you know. I had my surgery March 24 (Thursday) I was released that Monday and everything was ok and I was on OH a lot making new friends and asking questions. Well that Sunday I decided to go to the mall (Wheaton Mall for any familiar with the DMV Area) and I walked the whole mall. Monday came and I was just extra tired for some reason but decided to ignore it and try to get my shakes and water in and this went on until Wednesday which was my 2 week follow up and I'm thinking ok maybe it's my body getting tired of shakes or something and is ready for a egg or something lol.. (greedy I know) So I tell my Dr I kinda can't keep all my liquid down and how long it's been happening and he wants to keep me in the hospital and do a GI test, again I go into panic mode because that drink is nasty and is always makes me vomit.  I tell him if it gets any worse, I'll call him back or come in through the ER and he says ok and says he wants to do a Endoscopy on me next week. 

So I wake up the next day, go to brush my teeth. VOMIT... I drink water VOMIT.. protein shake again.. same thing.. So now I'm getting nervous. I lay down and you guys this next part is a little gross but then bile started to coming up, so I called my husband and said that's it.. pack me some clothes and let's move out to the hospital 
I get there, I'm overly dehydrated, they run all these test on me and make me do the upper GI :-(
it came up faster than it ever had, but they noticed that the little that was left in my sleeve was not moving down.  3 days later, my Dr performs the Endoscopy on me and said that was indeed a serious blockage and he had never had that happen before with a patient. I was a little bummed out, I kinda felt like I did something wrong and let myself down. So my Dr told me that he was going to wait 2 days because he wanted me to be hydrated and have enough potassium and etc because going in a trying to unblock or reopen my sleeve, then he said something that made me cry and break down and almost ripped the iv out my arm. He told me, I'm going to let you know right now, if I don't feel as though it's going to work or safe enough, you going to perform a Roux-En-Y. I was just crying and yelling please no, my husband told me if it needs to be done, it's needs to be done. Even though I understood that, I was still heart broken and the nurses and everyone that saw and heard me knew that I cried for 2.5 days straight every time I though about it. 

So the day came, I was still crying, my Dr said I would be ok. When I woke up I was back in my room trying to figure out what had been done to, I was so scared but out of it from the meds. 
So the following day when I was able to fully understand everything, my Dr came in and told me that he removed the blockage and re-stapled my sleeve. 

So they had me do like 3 more GI Test and because I have sickle cell in my legs and having surgeries back to back, it caused me to need 3 blood transfusion in all. Then I noticed 2 days after my surgery, my hand was extremely swollen where the IV was and my nurses never said anything so instead of me getting my meds and fluids in my vein, they went into my hand O_o uuuuuuglllly weird feeling I tell ya! 

So I went in the hospital April 7th and didn't get out and the 18th, got put back on clear liquids and have been to work since March 24th per Dr orders. 

I can honestly say, I'm getting a lot better, I walk every day, I'm trying to get my protein and liquids in but it is a little hard, somethings I can feel like my food going down and it doesn't feel too comfortable it feels weird and also sometimes I feel things get caught in my throat and I wanted to ask my Dr today if that was normal, because I go into panic mode like "OH NO! WHAT IS THAT FEELING!!?? I DID SOMETHING WRONG!!" lol.. but I wouldn't change my decision for anything. NO DECISION goes great without a few trials and tribulations here and there. I am stalling, and again, that's fine because I know I'm going to get there. 

Oh I also found out while in the hospital, I'm allergic to adhesive so where my incisions are because of the bandages I have the darkest ugliest spots all over my body.. but I feel healthier and better and I know day by day it's gonna get better.

I LOVE YOU MY OH FAM!!! 

Stay Peace.. B eZ All... 

~T

PaulaS
on 5/11/11 6:21 am - TX
Wow, what a journey!   Glad you are doing well now.  
Thanks for sharing!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
mylastchance
on 5/11/11 6:23 am
Wow!!!   You have been through the ringer,  but you are getting to a better place and as you said day by day it's gonna get better.  It will,  each day gets better and before you know it this will all be in the past and a distant memory. 
You are a strong person to be dealing with this so well. 

I am sending you some good thoughts and prayers and will look forward to your great updates and successes in the near future.... 

Hang in there.....

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

shantele7824
on 5/11/11 6:29 am - SAN PABLO, CA
Wow so much to go through yet you sound so optimistic, yes keep your head up and eveything will be ok.  I am so happy you are doing better and will conitinue.  Everyday is a new and better day and please keep us posted on your progress.
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

Monica W.
on 5/11/11 6:31 am - TX
Oh my I am so sorry you have been going through all of this mess. I feel so bad for you. Keep the faith hun. I hope all is well very very very soon...

foodlover
on 5/11/11 6:44 am
so glad you are doing better!!!
Jenijeni
on 5/11/11 6:50 am
Ugh what a horrible beginning for you!! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Im glad you have such positive attitude and it looks like you're doing great with your weight loss, too! Hope things continue to get better for you!!
Jeni

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Jenny C.
on 5/11/11 6:59 am
I'm so impressed with your fabulous attitude.  Wishing you smooth smooth sailing watching beautiful blue skies from here on out.  Yay for you.
Jenny

DragonGirl
on 5/11/11 6:59 am - MN
Jamae,
Big hugs to you Sweety! What a scary start to your journey!! I'm glad to hear things are getting better!! Please keep us updated on how you are!!

Blessings,
 Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
ccbelle14
on 5/11/11 7:16 am - Minneapolis, MN
Wow, you have been through a LOT! I really hope you are on the road to recovery now and that you continue to heal and get better!

Highest Weight (2008): 360  Surgery Consult Weight: 340  Day of Surgery: 318
Height: 5'10"
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 33 views