Question from Newbee

justwillow
on 5/12/11 1:44 am - OR
I have read some about gall bladder problems.  Does the sleeve somehow make or cause gall bladder problem???

Happy966
on 5/12/11 2:04 am

Gallstones are more likely to develop in persons losing weight, especially on lower-calorie diets.  It's not the WLS, it's losing weight.  It can happen to people who are losing weight by simply restricting calories as well.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

jennkitt
on 5/12/11 2:27 am - MI
My doc started me on actigall, a med to help prevent the formation, I take it for 6 months post op.
HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

George B.
on 5/12/11 2:28 am - Miami, FL
My surgeon told me that gall bladder issues are common in 30% of WLS patients. The surgery you have does not matter, it's more a factor of rapid weight loss.

People who are on Atkins for a long period of time may also encounter gall bladder issues.

I'm almost 2 years post-op and have had not gall bladder problems. My wife had her gall bladder removed 3 years ago and she was fit and in shape. 

It's a mystery how your gall bladder will react to the VSG but that's not reason enough to not have the sleeve surgery. The benefits of the sleeve and the weight loss outweigh and possible gall bladder problems.

Good luck,
George

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/11 2:34 am
If you are losing significant weight, say 8lbs or more a month- many Drs. recommend being on a medication called Actigall or Ursodial (same drug) to help prevent gallstone formation. Bariatric patients have statistics showing that over 30% will develop stones (not all become symptomatic) and with the medication it is reduced to around 3%. 
Could_It_Be
on 5/12/11 2:38 am
This can be caused by any type of 'rapid' weight loss. I am pro-op but had my gallbladder out a few years ago after losing 40 pounds in a few months.

:)
rbow
on 5/12/11 4:50 am
My preop abdominal ultrasound showed the beginnings of gallstones (fatty deposits on my gallbladder). Dr. Jawad took my gallbladder out during the sleeve surgery. Said I would have to get it done with the big weight loss. So, I got a twofer! But, it is the weight loss, not the surgery.
justwillow
on 5/12/11 7:02 am - OR
Thanks everybody, you guys are great

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views