Surgeon thinks bypass is better for me. xpost

Tracey W.
on 5/11/11 11:10 am
I finally got to meet the surgeon today and he seems wonderful!! I felt very at ease with him. He has been doing sleeves for a long time and thinks that  it's a better option for some. But, with my sweet tooth, he thinks that the bypass would help me change more and be more successful. I've been so against the bypass for myself, but I did tell him that I'd open my mind to it.
I have a surgery date!!! June 27th. So, I just have to make my mind up before then. I'm looking for input.
I'm a heavyweight. Highest weight 432, now 360 ish. My triggers are cake, chocolate, potatoes, nutella. Those are the big ones, but I LOVE carbs. Pizza, pasta, bread, you name the starch, I love it. I worry about the food restrictions, complications, dumping, stoma closing, etc, with the bypass.
The surgeon did let me know that the complications with bypass are usually easier to fix than the sleeve. Due to the higher pressure system in the sleeve.
He also let me know that though medicaid says they cover the sleeve, he hasn't been able to get them to cover anyone.
Any input would be so welcome.
Trying to build a better life, one good choice at a time.  
"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."-Ruby Gettinger        
Mandi E.
on 5/11/11 11:20 am - Kissimmee, FL
I was a "heavyweight" as well. I had my sleeve on April 28th and have lost close to 23lbs in about 2 weeks. Listen, it's all in what you make it. If you don't do the hard work nothing will work for you. it sounds to me though that your surgeon would prefer the RNY because he knows he can get your insurance to cover it. Take your time and truly think it through. I wish you the best in whatever you chose to do.
xoxo~Mandi
"I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it!" ~Marilyn Monroe
 HW:422LBs Pre-op:394LBs SW:391.6LBs CW:303LBs GW:190LBs (5'10")
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caligirlgina
on 5/11/11 11:45 am - CA
You and only you can make up your mind what surgery best fits your lifestyle. You are the one who has to work the tool for the rest of your life. My doctor gave me the option for the sleeve or the bypass. I did research on both and chose the sleeve. I had the lapband previously and knew it did work for me when it was working properly. I really did not want my insides rerouted.  Surgery is a lifestyle change no matter which one we choose. Best of luck to you!!! It is a hard decision...trust me I know
Gina
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/11/11 11:57 am - New Orleans
Sounds to me he may be pushing a surgery that HE is more comfortable with, rather than than letting YOU decide.  No surgery is going to keep you from eating crap.  It's all about what you think you can do and what lifestyle you want to adopt from here on out.

Don't put yourself on a time clock.  Take the time to do the research.  Talk to surgeons who offer all types of WLS.  This is a permanent decision.  Best of luck to you.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

sleeve genie
on 5/11/11 1:03 pm - Alhambra, CA
Surgeon's also make more money on the bypass.  Also i know lots of ladies that had the bypass and they lost great the first year or two,  then they gained it all back as they hadn't changed their eating habits,  I would think long and hard before making this decision.   You can eat crap no matter what surgery you have,  you really do need to work whichever tool you choose.   good luck to you :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

AniO
on 5/11/11 1:21 pm
Because the malabsorption of calories lasts only about 2 years and the malabsorption of vitamins and minerals lasts a lifetime, I like the VSG. YOu have to be willing to work on your sweet tooth no matter which surgery you decide. My cousin had the bypass in 2003 and right now, she only eats almonds, carrots and SNICKERS! SNICKERS! This is because she never worked on the head issues. Yes, she has lost half of her body weight and is now about 140, but she doesn't look good. She has to get iron infusions every other Friday, she doesn't have much color on her face. She is malnourished. Of course, she could be going through the same thing if she'd gotten the VSG. You have to work on your head. Good luck to you. I hope you make the right decision for yourself.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views