Ok So I Changed My Mind I Think I Need A Scale!!! HELP!!!

shantele7824
on 5/16/11 2:05 pm - SAN PABLO, CA
Ok so I at first I didnt think I needed or wanted a scale.  I see people on here going crazing because they are weighing themselves everyday and if that scales doesn't move or even go up or don't go up enough it seems to make them CRAZY.  I first off don't even have a scale, and then I didnt want to buy one cause they cost alot for us big big people, so I think I had kinda talked myself into not needing one because I didnt want to be a crazy person.  Now I am 2 weeks out tomorrow and last week I lost 7 pounds and today I feel bloated and fat.  I am going to my 2 week follow-up  on thursday and I hate waiting to see if I have lost any weight.  I kinda feel like I haven't but I think I have come to a conclusion I want to buy a scale.  but I don't want to go crazy, how to others feel and what advice can you give me.  ALSO WHAT CAN I ABOUT FEELING BLOATED???
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

MediumSoon
on 5/16/11 2:10 pm - TX
I am a serial weigher - but I do NOT fret as the scale moves around daily (as long as the trend is down!). Only you know what is best for you, but I would go CRAZY without a daily accountability for my intake/activity - that's just what works for me.

shantele7824
on 5/16/11 2:23 pm - SAN PABLO, CA
accountability is exactly what I feel I am missing.  I am right now feeling so bloated I am feeling fat which is making me feel like I gained weight, which right now is kinda crazy and I think that is why now I am thinking about the scale so much... thanks for responding

Courtney_Erin
on 5/16/11 2:13 pm - TX
I felt the same way and didn't want to buy or obsess over the scale. What I decided is I'll only weigh myself on my Wii Fit board. I got it as a Christmas gift but I didn't even learn to use it until a few weeks before surgery. At least if I do it that way, I can get some activity in too! I'm not sure of the weight limit with the Wii. I started at 325, down 19 lbs.
shantele7824
on 5/16/11 2:26 pm - SAN PABLO, CA
I wish the WII would except my weight I have one but I am way too big for it, it does have a weight limit on it.  so I have to wait for that but one day I shall be able to get on it and it work right.  19 pounds in just a little over 2 weeks is great, so I need to know what my numbers are, I know last thursday I was down 7 pounds today I don't know and won't till thursday, good luck on your journey and thanks for responding

teetee126
on 5/16/11 3:16 pm
The weight limit on the Wii Fit is 330...trust me I know because I just got to the point where I can use it lol!

Lizzy25
on 5/16/11 2:25 pm
If it's bloat, then yes, you COULD weigh the same or even more, because your body is holding on to water. BUT REMEMBER: it's water. Not fat. It will not stay. What's the worst thing that could happen? You go to the doctor, their scale shows you haven't lost any weight. You know this isn't true, because you're bloated. It could be hormonal, are you due for your period soon? I always gain 2-3 pounds the week of my period. And you're only 2 weeks out. I came home from the hospital weighing 10 pounds more than when I'd checked in, because of all the water I'd retained from having IV's. You ARE losing weight, your body is just doing weird things because it's freaking out. At the checkup after this upcoming one, the weight loss will become apparent, because you won't be holding onto the water so you'll be that much lighter.

Do NOT do anything to try to 'treat' your bloated feeling. Don't take any diuretics or deprive yourself of water or anything else. On the contrary, drink even more water, because it will help flush out the things your body is holding onto. You can try cutting back on salt, but I don't imagine that you are even consuming very much salt because you're probably on a liquid diet still. ALTHOUGH, if you're drinking a lot of soup broth, those can have a lot of sodium, which could cause bloating. You might try switching to lower sodium soups/broths if this is the case.

Hope you feel better!!
shantele7824
on 5/16/11 2:31 pm - SAN PABLO, CA
lol ok so I did start my period, but I hate blaming it on that but yes ok that makes since.  Also I stopped eating the soup, too much damn sodium and carbs and I also didn't want to waste my money because I am only able to drink the broth part and through out the rest I just couldn't do it, that is crazy in my head of the waste..  so I will calm my worries down a bit lol before I go crazy like I have seen done before.

Lizzy25
on 5/16/11 3:05 pm
ok well if you were drinking a lot of broth, that could definitely explain it. That stuff has tons of sodium and will cause you to bloat up if it's all you're drinking. And your period will cause the bloat also. You're only 2 weeks out, you're probably not drinking enough to even need to worry about carbs and stuff like that. How much are you able to drink at once? I don't think I was able to sip more than 2 or 3 mouthfuls at a time for the first whole month. I was getting maybe 350 calories a day when I worked at sipping all day long on protein drinks. If you're taking pain medications, they could cause you to be constipated and bloated also (though I don't know how you'd be eating enough now to be forming poops- gross, I know. sorry haha).

You might want to get a scale eventually, because stepping on and seeing that you're that much closer to your goal can feel so rewarding and motivate you to try even harder. As long as you don't use it as something to obsess over and punish yourself with. Some people will only allow themselves a weigh-in once a week. That way water weight and small fluctuations aren't such a huge issue.

I'm so excited for you, this will be the best decision you ever made for yourself. Just wait and see! 
teetee126
on 5/16/11 3:21 pm
I don't use the scale because I like the "Big Reward" at the end of the week.  I only weigh myself on Sundays.  This week I weighed myslef 3 times though...but that was a reward in it's self, because my scale is at my gym.  At least i was there 3 times this week.  Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views