Increase calories....ugh..NOT GOOD!

Leslie B.
on 5/19/11 2:25 am - MO

So, I was only getting like 500-650 calories a day. I decided to up it because everyone says to increase calories and drink more water if you are stahled.  Well, bad move for me.  My stomach actually hurts.  Like even when I drink water, so no more extra calories for me.  I am going to push water and protein, but I am not eating more food.  I just don't want it and it is so difficult to do.  Thank you everyone for all the good information....think I need to step back a little though.  Today I am going back to liquid diet and then baby steps again.  Ugh I guess this is trial and error!!!  Good day all! Leslie

"I am so happy with my new life, would not change it for anything!"
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/19/11 2:33 am - New Orleans
I don't argue with people when the suggest you UP your calories... but look at a good number of the REALLY successful people around here.  They ate 600-800 cals a day when they were losing.  Can't argue with those facts.  Now, I would suggest upping the percentage of your calories that are dense protein... but that's totally different than upping your calories.  Some days I'm lucky to get in 600.  Keep 'em low and drink tons of water.  That stall will break soon enough.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 2:34 am, edited 5/19/11 2:41 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Sorry you have the pain, but just to point this out *EVERYONE* does not actually say to do that. 

In this journey, sometimes, we hear what we want to hear, and dont hear something until it actually pertains to us (like about getting in all your protein and still having hair loss, lets just say).

Its good to learn what works for *you*!!  Keep on trucking like you have been.  You will get there!

Why are you going back to liquids?  Cuz you hurt?  For me, going back to liquids is like crash dieting and then people ***** about getting vsg and then yoyo dieting again.

Me?  (just me) I go back to just eating clean, dense protein, getting in all my water, cut out the frills.

Take care of you!

And GEEZIEPETE friend!  You are barely 2 months out!  You have to give your poor body a chance!!

be sweet to you!
Lionetta
on 5/19/11 2:37 am - AZ
Hang in there, sweetie, you are doing just fine!

And there are ways to increase calories without increasing food proportions! For example, I make my BA shakes with almond milk instead of water, though I use the "light" version. So I'm still getting the same amount, just a few more calories to get me into my 600-700 calorie zone that my body likes to be in for weight loss. I also add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil when I grill or bake my chicken and that's good, heart-healthy fats that are needed. I remove the chicken fat ... yuck ...and the good fats help my body in so many more ways! I also have some avocado every day with my one meal because I'm usually low on potassium, but not enough to need medication. The avocado also has heart-healthy fats and adds a few calories. Along with a slice of tomato, it's my veggies, and it goes a long way in satisfying me.

You'll find your zone soon, sweetie! It just takes time, and things have a way of changing as your tummy heals over the first few months.

Hugs!

HW: 335 SW: 279 GOAL: 150 ~ or less. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 2:41 am
I just want to point out, that most of the vets would never tell you to up your calories only your protein.  I am not sure why you are going back to liquids, I would suggest eating dense lean protein and low carb veggies in very small quantities if you are allowed to eat everything at this point.  Keep your calories as low as you can, around 600-800 and maximize the protein and minimize the carbs. As in under 40g. a day.  Stop listening to newbies and take a look at what the vets are telling you.  We did not get to be vets because we are good looking, OK, maybe we did.  :)  Good luck with your program.  By the way, I used to say, follow your doctors and Nut's program, but I have seen some crazy stuff out there lately.  So I can't say that anymore.  I guess I would take a good look at those that have what you want and ask them how they got it.
preciouskc
on 5/19/11 2:54 am - TX
what is dense protein mean?
George B.
on 5/19/11 3:24 am - Miami, FL
Dense protein are meats like tender beef, chicken, fish.

Soft protein are cheese, protein shakes, Greek yogurt, nuts, beans.

When my weight loss slowed I realized most of my protein was from soft sources. I switched to dense protein and my weight loss picked up again and I had more restriction. Dense protein fills you up with less food and keeps you full longer.

preciouskc
on 5/19/11 11:23 am - TX
Any suggestions for making tender beef, and adding chicken, and fish into your diet.  The soft protein seems to be more satisfying. 

I am on mushies right now...so soft protein is what I have been generally using in my diet at this stage.....

Thanks for the tip -- I can see how the dense protein would be better absorbed by the body and help pick up weight loss.  I am at my first stall.  I am having trouble getting in enough liquid through out the day.  I went into surgery april 26 at 205 and am 185 today.

Today, I had two protein drinks (kellogs protein water -- 8 ounces of water with 1 flavor packet which has 5 g of protein, then I do a protein shot of 26g).  But I am not thirsty. 

So, for example, today I got in 630 calories -- 60g of protein; but not an add'l 60 of liquid on top of that.  That could be the other thing causing my stall???  My protein right now is eggs/cheese/refried beans....

George B.
on 5/19/11 11:03 pm - Miami, FL
Eggs and cheese are good sources of protein in the mushy stage. You can also prepare chicken or tuna salad and run it through the food processor. I also enjoyed Lentil soup and Split Pea soup that had been run through the blender during the pureed stage. Lentil soup has protein and the fiber also helps keep you regular.

If you like liver then chopped liver is also a high protein option during the mushy/pureed stage.

Soft proteins and great and they're well tolerated. It's easy to get most of your protein from soft sources. However, when my weight loss slowed I attributed it to the soft protein. Switching to dense protein resulted in greater restriction, being full longer and faster weight loss.

Initially I also had trouble drinking enough water. It's an effort to drink enough and even now I have to consciously remind myself to drink. Along with everything else I track how much I drink on myfitnesspal.com.  I added lemon to water, crystal light and diluted apple juice. It was all done in an effort to meet my daily intake requirement. What has worked best for me has been a concoction I make with Motts Light Apple Juice. I mix 1/3 Motts Light Apple Juice with 2/3 water. The Light apple juice is already watered down and this mixtures flavors the water without making it too sweet. Even my children drink this and now find regular apple juice too sweet.

Try to drink often, find beverages you can tolerate and drink a lot of.

Best of luck,
George

preciouskc
on 5/19/11 11:25 am - TX
You look fabulous!  How long did it take you to get to your goal?

Most Active