6 mos. Post-op - down 135 lbs. - feeling fab - w/pix

johnbertak
on 5/22/11 1:57 am - MD

I’m down 135 lbs. @ 6 mos. Post-op (24 lbs. lost pre-op)  So, these pix are Wifey and I in AZ a year ago (I was @425 lbs) then, after I broke thru 300 lbs. while on vacation in the Dominican Republic about 3 weeks ago.  And one of me today, @after I hit 289 lbs. Feel great!  Never dreamed it would happen this fast – that said, I work extremely hard at maintaining my nutrition and exercise program every single day.  No days off, ever! 

At 65, we’re a couple of extremely happy seniors.  We're enjoying all aspects of our retirement so much more these days - golf, gardening, grandchildren, travel - It's all good!  (In Sept. we’re off to Italy for 3 weeks – it’s my big “incentive" trip; I think about it every day while exercising.) 

For me, the key to rapid weight loss has been Consistency – Work the program (and sleevie) every single day – I religiously  log every bite I eat and every step I take.  No days “off" ever. (except in ***** Cana – where I lost 5 lbs. in a week, go figure?  Lots of golf, swimming, walking,…etc.) I'm now off of all meds & I’ve also lost diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, general “grouchiness," and about 6 strokes off my golf score. 

My smart-as-a-whip-stitch grandson (he’s 4) says I’m not just “shrinking," but that I’m getting younger too!  God love that boy. 40 lbs. more to lose, but I KNOW I’ll get there – and beyond.  Thank you to all of you, my friends, on OH who have been a very real part of my journey so far.  Proud to be on this road with you.  Pop-Pop

Ar                                      May 18, 2011 @ 289 - down 135 lbs.W/ Wifey in ***** Cana, April 2011 @ 299

Sedona w/Pop-Pop Pre-Op

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/11 2:01 am - VA
I am so happy for u!!!! Keep up the good work!
sleeve genie
on 5/22/11 2:03 am - Alhambra, CA
That's great Pop,  you have done an amazing job and should be so proud of yourself :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

thebadest
on 5/22/11 2:21 am - Houston, TX
Congrats and I'm so freaking envious of all that traveling.

***Getting to Goal Challenge: -13.9/22.7 July 29th surgiversary**
Trina//SW:270/CW:172.7/GW:150

GOING2LOSEIT2011
on 5/22/11 2:22 am
AWESOME JOB !!!!
I hope I can be as successful as you , Surgery is  scheduled June 28th
Congrats on your loss !!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me.Phil 4:13
  Hw 386  Sw 322 Cw 226.6
DR.Christine Chu   Fremont , Ca                 
  VSG  6/28

Nick E.
on 5/22/11 2:27 am - Duluth, GA
Congrats John from one Grandfather to another. For me my 4 Grandchildren were the true inspiration for my having the VSG done. I want to be around to see them start families of their own. The only thing better than being a Grandfather is being a Great Grandfather. My favorite changes is that they can now give me full Hugs and I can get down on the floor to play with them now! 

jimbovsg
on 5/22/11 2:38 am
Congratulations Pop-Pop......what a ride so far!  You have done an amazing job1  Your commitment...is to be commended.  The best thing.....about this.....is enjoying life again......and you certainly are!  You are a true inspiration on here.....and we are proud to be on this "road" with you as well.

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

BigCaliSmile
on 5/22/11 2:54 am - La Puente, CA
 Wow talk about a new lease on life!! How refreshing to hear the big turn around in your lifestyle. You had a huge loss in numbers over 6 months, I gotta say I was in awe.
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
onehappygirl
on 5/22/11 3:07 am
John, it was because of YOU and reading about your fast weight loss and your super fortified protein shakes that I doubled my protein intake, and then I broke my 5 week stall and have been losing 1-2 pounds per day ever since (about 10 days now.)  I thank you so much for sharing your success story with us and your tricks and experiences.  Your story is one of the dramatic ones, for sure, but I am so inspired when I read all the stories on here.  I am so proud to be a part of this community.  I am 4 months out, 63 years old, and have lost 65 pounds.  I MUST try to hit that magic 100 pound mark sometime before 1 year out.  I am going to stick with it and not deviate either, just like you.  Thank you again. 
Farm_Nana
on 5/22/11 3:08 am - NY
Thanks so much Pop! I got my sleeve May 17 and am also 65 years old. It's great to hear how good your feeling. That's why I got the sleeve, so I would feel better. I didn't have a lot of health issues. Thanks for the heads up on consistancy. I'll dust off my note book and start keeping track.  My husband and frends are proud of me and praying for me. I have 100 lbs to lose.  Blessings, Pat
Most Active