ROAD TRIP!!! NEED SOME ADVICE

DivaDimples
on 5/27/11 2:43 am - LA
Hello My OH family, I really need you guys advice. I'm 10 weeks out and this will be my first road trip since surgery and I'm very nervous about it. I'm still adjusting to things I can eat and Ive been in the safety of my home to make decisions.. Actually I'm scared to get on the road and I'm  not even prepared.. the road trip will be 9 hours and I'm sure everyone will be stopping at fast food places and I'm not sure what to do I haven't ventured into those places; only Wendy's for Chilli. Any advice you guys can give me will be much appreciated.

Thanks  DivaDimples

Kelley_S
on 5/27/11 3:07 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/23/10 with
pack a little cooler with snacks. Beef jerky, greek yogurt, tuna to go packages, babybel cheese wheels, etc (i feel like I just gave you my grocery list haha)

that way you won't have to worry about what you can eat off of a fast food menu.

If you're really desperate, the kids chicken tenders meal (with one tender) from chickfila always is a good option for me.

jimbovsg
on 5/27/11 3:20 am
ROAD TRIP!   ROAD TRIP!   ROAD TRIP!  ha ha!  I agree pack stuff to take W you jerky.....cheese....nuts.....and you can find "good"  food  anywhere....just "modify" it  take bun off grilled chick sand....etc!  Take small bites...eat slow....best to stick W/ foods you know you  can tolerate.  Good luck....have fun!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

felicity2u
on 5/27/11 3:21 am - LA
Hey Diva,
    Hope that you are doing well!  Walmart sells great indivual size coolers by Coleman that can hold up to four beverages of your choosing whether they be water, or protein shakes.  I back one every day to bring my drinks in and throw some ice in there to the top from my ice maker and it keeps everything in there cool for about 9 hours.  Are you using powdered or pre bottled protein shakes, either way, back your water or shakes and you should be good to go! Food wise, in the same cooler, I like to pack cheese squares in a ziploc and throw them in there and it keeps them nice and cold. Also, you could back some beef jerky or nuts. The Blue Diamond almonds in the habenero bbq flavor are my new favorite and they also have the chocolate ones that are great for the sweet tooth craving.  Fast food places are really not that bad, you just have to make the correct choices.  You can always get a chicken sandwich from any of them and just take it off the bun or stop at Wendy's and get some chili or any of the hamburgers are good but also just take those off the bun, just stay away from french fries! If you know you are going to be stopping for fast food, go onto some websites and research before hand  the nutrional value of their items and see what you can have. This will also surprise you on how much calories and fat all that food has! LOL.  In the end, a nine hour road trip in our sleeve world is not that much to prepare for as we do not eat that much, lol.  On my eating schedule, a nine hour road trip would consist of two protein shakes, one snack and two meals when stopping.  Depending on the times that you are leaving this may vary!  Have fun on your trip and let us know how you do!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/11 3:25 am
Yep- little cooler with a freezy pack in it.. I did a camping trip a week back, I knew there was going to be so much yummy goodness around, I needed my security foods! It worked just fine!
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/11 3:27 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I also pack a cooler.  I make these little things I call popeye pies, egg, ground beef, spinach, flax, cheese and zip them in indicative zip tops, make chickeny salad in individual containers, or did even egg salad and had flackers - that was back before I figured out every once in a while the egg salad tries to come back out.  :} 

You do not have to eat like everyone!  You have a right to eat good and nutritious food on the road! 
davidbu4054
on 5/27/11 7:56 am - AR
i spend about 200-225 days a year on the road.  i am 3 months post op and have found that even fast food has lots of choices for us.  but you have to do your homework.  just because they advertise something as being healthy, ie Arby's new chicken wrap,  does not mean that it is.  all chain restraunts list their menu nutritional info on their web sites.  but the most important tool that you have is your brain.  by the way Wendy's Chilli and their grilled chicken is tops!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views