Questions about carbs

NoEscape21
on 5/26/11 12:42 am - Apopka, FL
I refuse to write a stall post...  since 10 days out the scale hasn't moved...BUT I have lost 16 lbs since surgery on May 11th (when is the last time I lost that much in 2 weeks?) , so that is nothing to sneeze at. I am ALSO 28 lbs down from my highest weight back in october.

I simply ordered that the scale be hidden from me until next weds lol. (I BAN THEEE FROM MY BATHROOM, THOU VILE CREATURE!)

Also I had NOOOO complications. So really I am very thankful. Today is also my last day of full liquids and tomorrow comes soft food!

So anyways... here is my question for you more seasoned VSGers. In your experience, does the time of day in which you have your carbs matter? I have been drinking 1.5- 2 bottles of Isopure green tea (1 gram of carbs each) a day, and then having soup and sometimes a sf pudding at night (several hours before bed though).  So during the day I am not really having carbs, and at night I will have generally between 30-45 grams of carbs.

Should I be splitting up carb intake and having a lil per meal? Sometimes that is difficult as this week, with the soups that was pretty much the bulk of my carbs.

As I transition to soft foods I plan to still have 1 isopure green tea a day, that way I know I am getting 40 grams of protien just from that. I don't get hunger anymore so satiety from it isn't really an issue.   Then I plan to have stuff like tuna, planning to do the whole ricotta bake thing, attempt eggwhites...maybe... things like that. For getting in carbs I planned to try stuff like spinach (the canned type so its softer, and well less $) 

Any thoughts/input  on the whole carb thing and if time of day can cause issues?
  Unicorns fart rainbows and magic!              HW:272 SW:260 GW:120
 Blog:  Weighed Down: A blog about becoming a former fat girl
Youtube: 
No Escape's Channel Join: The Pin -Up Girls: Vixens in progressLilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 1:07 am
What works best for me to try to limit carbs period as much as possible.  My program calls for under 40 g. a day of carbs until goal.  When I had more, I would not lose well.  I would recommend keeping your protein as high as possible and your carbs as low as possible.  When you have the carbs doesn't seem to make a big difference, it is more important to have less of them.
NoEscape21
on 5/26/11 1:14 am - Apopka, FL
Elina! Thanks so much for your reply! I am admittedly struggling to keep my protein intake high ( all this drinking and not being able to drink much at a time is a bit tiring hehe).  I am hoping moving to soft foods will help me get in more.

I thought I was on the right track, as far as keeping the carbs around 30 or so. I will definitely keep them under 40 period though.
Youtube: 
No Escape's Channel Join: The Pin -Up Girls: Vixens in progressLilySlim Weight loss tickers

WVLoser
on 5/26/11 1:59 am - Wheeling, WV
So glad you posted this.  I too was sleeved on the 11th and the scale hasn't moved in a 3 or 4 days  - not a big deal I know but frustrating none the less.  I totally agree that getting all of the fluids in is very difficult. 

Hang in there - I'm sure we'll be droppin the lbs again soon!!!

Beth

HW: 250  SW:  239   CW: 176
Month #1:  12 lbs
Month #2:  17 lbs
Month #3:  14 lbs
Month #4:  9 lbs
Month #5:  6 lbs
Month #6:  2 lbs
Month #7:  3 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 2:49 am
Hey there! I did the same thing- lost great then hit that.. well, you know. It was a slow-down for a couple weeks, but it eventually passes. There's a great explanation regarding glycogen stores being re-built and the water that has to be retained along with it that explains it..

On the carb issue- for me, I find I feel better getting a dose in the morning, so I have a kefir shake with a strawberry or so in there- around 10-12 carbs. I now keep my total carbs under 25 for the day as I find I lose best that way. I prob am getting in even less as I count all carbs- not just net, and that includes my Benefiber dose too! The morning higher carb breakfast just seems to give me the boost I need. Then I have a protein drink or an egg or something. I eat mostly meat and an occasional cheese stick for the remaining meals.. no real room for veggies yet- but a bite here or there on occasion. My plan is three solids and no snacks- so not much room for veggie snacks right now- but I wouldn't rule out some cukes and greek yogurt at some point..  

Father Don
on 5/26/11 6:07 am - Charleston, SC
Just remember there are different types of carbs as well.  Simple and complex.

Simple - like potatoes, chips, AKA - The BAD stuff, or sliders....are what cause us to lose slower.

Complex crabs - nuts/grains/Veggies - require our bodies to WORK to break them down....they end up having a lower glycemic index because of it.

But as others have said - keeping the carbs as low as possible - and making sure those are complex carbs, not simple carbs...Will keep you losing (and later on maintaining)....

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

NoEscape21
on 5/26/11 9:14 am - Apopka, FL
 Thanks! Great reminder about the simple and complex carbs. :)

Everyone has given me great advice to go on here :)
Youtube: 

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 2:48 pm
Just thought you should know, that from a metabolic standpoint it doesn't matter whether the carb is complex or simple, they all slow down weight loss.
Most Active