Why PPIs are bad

StrawWalker
on 6/4/11 12:29 am
First off, dont get me wrong: I totally understand that if a person is burning up with acid and/or reflux, they have a time, place and purpose. I myself relied on Prevacid for the first month daily. All this said, I think it is very important for all of you to know why some Doctors are wanting thier patients to reduce or stop using them altogether.

PPI,s are designed to reduce the acid level in your stomach. The inherent problem with that is that we require a high acid stomach for optimum digestive health. It takes a lot of acid to digest protien and render all the amino acids and iron. Our diets are primarily high protien. Anyone see the problem with this? Hair loss anyone? Muscle wasting? Fingernails split or brittle?

This said, however, if you have already too much stomach acid, then the PPI is perfect for the time being. It is my belief that one should never have to take these for a very long time and that in most cases it is VERY benificial to ween yourself off of them as soon as possible. I most certainly would never consider taking one just because I felt hungry without one. That only can majorly comprimise ones health.

For any of you research buffs, just check out hypochlorhdyria or achlorhydria on the web. You may even find out in your internet travels that h pylori thrives in a low acid environment. http://www.acu-cell.com/dis-hpy.html

Till next time, continue to take care of yourselves and those you love.

Straw Walker
USAF Wife
on 6/4/11 3:01 am
I agree that you have to do what is best for you and your body. As someone who chooses to stay on my PPI without even attempting to wean off, I suffer from none of the noted issues. I have admitted that I stay on it because I don't want to feel hungry as abnormal as it is, hunger petrifies me. No muscle wasting, zero h. pylori, no issues with protein counts, no issues with digestion or absorption. I'm also 18 weeks pregnant, I'm thriving medically, the baby weighs 2 ounces more than most 18 week old babies, so there is no doubt that I'm not feeding myself or absorbing the proper nutrients for my body and the baby with his/her current stats.

I've had breakthrough reflux with the pregnancy, and it's pure misery. While I stay on it to prevent hunger, and any acid issues, I would only consider weaning off if my bone scans show bone density issues, or other concerns.

Hunger is my "food demon". It was a huge contributor to my obesity, and horrific relationship with food. So, I'll continue to take it and beat my own demons, maintain my loss and avoid acid reflux.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/11 3:31 am

My Dr. put me on 6 months worth of PPI's (Prevacid).  I was told it was to prevent ulcers along the staple line.  I'm just in the middle of my 7th week and so far so good.  I'm losing (I did have a 15 day stall) but that is over and I'm back to loosing slowly now.  Why would he have all of us on a PPI if it is bad for us?  Unless of course he thinks the probibility of ulcers is worse?  
sleeve genie
on 6/4/11 3:38 am - Alhambra, CA
I took them for about the first 5 months,  i never had acid except for the day of surgery,  and my doctor told me it couldn't be acid because i hadn't eaten?  he refused to give me a prescription for them.  I was also hungry and many people told me i was not really hungry? that it was the acid so i got some otc stuff.   But i was still hungry,  and so i quit taking it and noticed no difference.   But i am thankful that acid issues were never part of my life  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views