Those of you that had higher than a 50 BMI at surgery time...

Val G.
on 6/8/11 3:06 am - NV
Were you asked to get down to a 50 BMI before surgery?  I was at 53.4 BMI when I first went in and now I am at 51.5% and the last 8 pounds are SO hard to get off!  I have been drinking two protein shakes daily and a super light lunch and I was able to get 12 pounds off but I have been stuck at 300!  I need to get to 292!  Help!
Val  

"Turns out is not where but who you're with that really matters!"  
~ Dave Matthews

sublimate
on 6/8/11 3:22 am - San Jose, CA
I was asked to lose 20-30 pounds before surgery but my BMI was much higher than 50 and still was at the time of surgery. I think usually they ask you to lose about 5% of your excess weight.

I lost 28 pounds in 1.5 months pre-op by eating almost nothing but boneless skinless chicken breast, one veggie meal and one protein shake (total 1200 cals per day and mostly protein, low carbs/fat).

I also had quit smoking so to lose that amount of weight in such a short time when I quit smoking was extremely hard. I was extremely cranky every day and it was hell.

I wanted to have the VSG so bad, it was my motivation to quit smoking and follow that rigid diet, and I was afraid if I didn't all the money and time and hopes that I had invested in having the VSG would be for naught so that spurred me to stick to my guns. I also counted the days and white knuckled it every day.

I know it's hard but you can do this.. keep your eye on the prize. Hugs..

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

livingskinny
on 6/8/11 3:27 am - NC
I am doing the optifast program and I love it, it is working great for me.  I would talk to your doctor about giving it a try.  It totally holds you accountable and the shakes and soups are really good.

Dawnie 88
on 6/8/11 3:28 am
My BMI was 58.9 when I started my 2 wk preop diet.  I did not have to lose a specific amount of weight before surgery.  I did have to purchase high protein foods from my surgeon's office to eat for the two wks prior to surgery.  I ended up losing 14 lbs in those two weeks, having surgery at 340 lbs.

BriarRose
on 6/8/11 3:31 am
I started at 300 lbs, and just a tick under 5'3" my bmi was 52.9 or something like that. My HMO wanted a weight loss of 5 - 10%. My official weight with them I had already lost down to 293. I had to do their 3 months diet and class; and then had another 2 months with medical testing and stuff -- I lost a total of 34 pounds pre surgery.

It was MY GOAL to get under 50 BMI for surgery -- as I had heard it was much safer that way. I squeaked in there at 49% !!! But I did it !!!

I just knew, that this was my last and best chance of ever being a more normal weight, of getting healthy, and giving myself a chance at a long and healthy life style.

None of this is easy ~~~ before surgery or afterwards ! The weight DOES NOT magically fall off. It is work.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Danielle K.
on 6/8/11 3:33 am - Evart, MI
 I actually went to see the internist and he said, 'well when you see the surgeon that is the weight we use to submit to insurance.  And your insurance will pre-approve you for two surgeries if your BMI is over 50." 

Well I was seeing the surgeon the next day so I didn't hold out much hope.  My BMI was 49. something.  But I went in the next day and say the surgeon and my BMI was 51.7  I was up almost 10 lbs.  I couldn't believe it.  Now I know I was premenstrual and hadn't gotten nearly enough water in to flush out the water weight from working the previous few days.  But it is what it is and if I ever need it I'll have a 2nd surgery available.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

pilotlady
on 6/8/11 5:11 am - Six Lakes, MI
My BMI was over 57. I didn't have to lose weight to have the surgery but I was mad at the doctor for other reasons so I went on a diet for a month before I had the surgery. (I was going to show him, so there!) In the month I lost 22.5 lbs. At the time I wanted a RNY but he said I was too fat for one. ended up with sleeve because I had too much scar tissue to do RNY.

hw 292.5 sw 270   cw166.6 gw 120 hgt 5'  includes 22.5 lbs pre-surgery  46.6 lbs to go
LeahBea
on 6/8/11 8:23 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
I wasn't asked to lose weight per se, I was put on a full liquid 21 day pre-op diet. From the time I started the liquid diet til day of surgery I lost 27 lbs. So I did lose quite a bit.

Talk to your doctor. While they may infuriate us sometimes they are generally a great resource.

You can do this!

Leah

Most Active