5 Days out of Surgery

iatetheskinnygurl
on 6/11/11 11:08 am - CA

I had VSG on Tuesday and Im ALWAYS hungry! Is this normal? Im off my clear liquid diet and now on Full Liquid for 2 weeks. Ive lost 7 lbs already, not expecting for weight loss to continue at this speed, but is there anyway to stay full? My hunger pangs hurt worse than incision/ muscle at this point. What foods were you allowed to have? Any info would be wonderful.

Thank you 

Jenns Livin free
on 6/11/11 11:33 am
Are you absolutely sure that it is hungery?  When I was still that  close to surgery, I was often bloated, and it was hard to tell if it was actual hunger.  I was only on liquids for four days then it was pureed.  I'm not sure what your full liquids include, but yogurt, especially greek yogurt is good.  Broth strained from soup instead of just bullion broth is good.  Also, creamed soups are good if you are allowed those.  Don't worry too much about calories/fat right now.  Focus on portion size and protein.  Protein shakes should be a staple for you.  I am not one to talk, though, I have only been getting in about 1/2 of my protein because I still don't have a powder that I can stand.  So, my weight loss has been VERY slow for the last two weeks.  I start soft foods Monday, so I hope my loss will start again!
Good luck,
Jennifer
There are also a lot of people that say acid relux often presents intself as hunger.  You may want to try a PPI if you are not taking one.  Call your Dr. or get an over the counter one.  I do not take one, and don't really have this issue, so I'm not sure.
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

iatetheskinnygurl
on 6/12/11 11:02 am - CA

I bought some shakes but my doc is absolutely against me having them.. He said focus on fluids for now and when I get to my stage 3 foods to incorporate my protiens .. I posted about that a while ago because I see everyone else is having success with them.. I dunno I have Kaiser and my list of foods is very minimal. :(

AniO
on 6/11/11 11:51 am
I agree with the suggestion of a PPI. For years what I thought was hunger turned out to be acid reflux. I only figured it out after surgery.

As for Jenns, have you tried Jay Robb Whey Protein? I like it very much. It doesn't have an overwhelming protein flavor or smell. It is sweetened with Stevia and all natural. YOu can get it at Whole Foods or The Vitamin Shoppe. One of the cool things is that you can buy it in single serve packets, so you don't have to commit to a big tub of it just in case you don't like it. It's available in about 6 different flavors.

AniO

Jenns Livin free
on 6/12/11 11:34 pm
Thanks for the suggestion--I will try that!
Jenn
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

njmom5870
on 6/11/11 11:53 am
You may want to start an acid reducer.  You may be having acid reflux that can feel like hunger pain.  For the first 10 days, I was only allowed clear liquids.  After that full liquids for 10 days, then puree for 10, I started solids after that.  I had a lot of gas and pain when eating but it went away around 5 weeks post-op
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

smilinmomof3
on 6/11/11 12:09 pm - MI
I bet it's acid reflux - Start taking something if you aren't already. And our new sleeves make lot of noice sometimes that may sound like growling. But it's not! 

WHOOO BABY - I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

SkinnyGenes
on 6/11/11 12:52 pm - MD
VSG on 05/16/11 with
How long was every one on a PPI?  My prescription runs out on Friday and I'm afraid that the hungry monster will return with avengence.
Goal 1-199 (8/7/11)          Goal 2-179            Goal 3-159           Goal 4-140                   
yarravalley95
on 6/11/11 10:50 pm - MD
I had VSG Tuesday, too! I have felt what I think is hunger for the last 3-4 days... I just started an acid blocker yesterday. I am getting my clear liquids in and start full liquids today. Your doc should have given you an extensive list of what you can eat at each stage...
Good luck! Nancy

HW: 275 
SW: 241 
CW: 178
GW: 125

iatetheskinnygurl
on 6/12/11 11:10 am - CA
I didnt get a long list at all. My binder says liquids such as....... then list about 6 things. jellos,puddings,cream of___ soups and broths. Ohh and applesauce. So I've had tonssss of cream of chicken.lol. I'm down almost 10 lbs since surgery,but I dont want to live off of cream of chicken for the next 2 weeks...

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 53 views