Are you hungry?

jennhales
on 6/12/11 8:36 am - lehi, UT
 I was just wondering if you are hungry all the time?  I have a lap band and I have hunger pains.  

If you have a sleeve do you experience hunger?
Thanks
Valerie K.
on 6/12/11 8:43 am - Dearborn, MI
 it is very rare when i am hungry. I say I am starving but i am only able to eat 3 or 4 oz of meat and 2 table spoons of cottage cheese and I am stuffed for hours. I was yelled at by my doctor because I do not eat enough.

Hard to eat when your not hungry but i force my self to eat something good. I am not hungry very often.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Jasonm11
on 6/12/11 8:52 am, edited 6/12/11 8:52 am
I am one of the lucky ones I guess that has lost all ability to feel hunger. I actually have to use reminders to remember to eat if I am alone or rely on the people around me to get hungry and say it is time to eat. It is great in that I never feel hunger but it is bad in that if I forget and skip a meal, I have no way to catch up and get my nutrition for the day. This is acceptable when it is once a month or something like that but for a while it was the case where I would forget to eat at all on the weekends and go without food all weekend which is bad.

I will say I still have head hunger, though I feel pretty good with how I have gotten that under control. If I have a glass of crystal light whenever I get a craving, it goes away pretty quickly.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Crimson
on 6/12/11 9:00 am - MD
 I am almost 7 weeks out from surgery and I'm usually never hungry. Only time I am hungry is when i haven't eaten or drank anything in a while (this is rare i do this, only if i'm superbly busy).

But for the most part, nope. not hungry. not even head hunger

HW: 271 lbs.     SW: 255 lbs.     GW: 150 lbs.    
jennhales
on 6/12/11 9:18 am - lehi, UT
 Thanks
SpiceyMom
on 6/12/11 9:25 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
I'm only six weeks out but lately I do get hungry sometimes. I seem to recall reading on these boards that some folks don't lose their hunger for a few months. Maybe someone will comment on that?
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
wert
on 6/12/11 10:00 am - MN
Not me. Not ever. That may change in time but for now I'm loving it. Sometimes I feel empty. Or else I realize I haven't eaten for a long time and go searching for something.

Are you familiar with ghrelin-the hunger hormone? With the removal of the stomach most of the ghrelin is gone, too. I read somewhere, can't remember where, with the band ghrelin production is increased.
If I'm wrong on that, someone PLEASE correct me.

Let me say, tho, some sleevers never lose their hunger.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

jennhales
on 6/12/11 11:27 am - lehi, UT
This is my experience, when the band is tight around my esophagus feels like a constant painful hunger.   KInd of like a pressure or a pulling feeling.

But one thing is for sure I have learned that I can't have hunger.
Jen
nancpanc01
on 6/12/11 10:09 am
im only a week out but i have no feeling of hunger whatsoever. i have to remind myself to get something down. thank god. with lapband i was hungry every 5 min. hope that helps.

Height 5'4.5 Age 28  

aintstoppin
on 6/12/11 10:30 am - NH
 I am one of the fortunate ones.  I don't feel actual hunger.  If I am busy, I have to remind myself to eat so I don't run into problems. 

I think some people confuse head hunger with true hunger.  It is a fine line.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views