Catheter

Valerie S.
on 6/14/11 11:20 am - CA
Does it hurt?? Having it in when I wake up? And having it removed? Painful?
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/11 11:23 am
 I didn't have one at all during or after my surgery...the only time I ever had one was when I had a c-section when my son was born 7 years ago and it certainly wasn't a picnic but wasn't that painful either.
SASSI11
on 6/14/11 11:25 am
I had one with my c-section and my hysterectomy.....not the greatest thing ever, but certainly not painful.  It's a relief when it comes out. 

evilelf
on 6/14/11 11:27 am
I will answer your questions,
no it didn't hurt
Yes I had it when I woke up and they didn't take it out until the following day.
I was uncomfortable but not painful.

They make you walk the same day as your surgery so I was walking around with my bag of pee, yes it was weird, but I couldn't care less.
You will be fine.

H.W 270 S.W 252 C.W 195 G.W 170

katier825
on 6/14/11 11:29 am
I don't think everyone gets them.  I did, but it was inserted/removed while I was asleep.  I have had them before and it didn't hurt having it removed.
Valerie S.
on 6/14/11 12:30 pm - CA
Thanks everyone. I am told by my surgeon that everyone with kaiser gets one now and it gets removed after u get up and walk the first time after surgery. And I'm going to be on my period, not sure how all that's going to play out lol

Alyssa2010
on 6/14/11 11:36 pm - Philly Burbs, PA
I had one w/my surgery and I was on my period too. I had one in the past and it was uncomfortable, so I wasn't looking forward to the experience, but let me tell you, I am SO glad I had one! This time, it wasn't uncomfortable at all, and I was SO exhausted after the surgery that I thought it was a blessing that I didn't have to get up to pee every 2 mins. After all the IV fluids they give you during surgery, they were emptying the bag constantly and I kept thinking - wow - I would have been constantly having to get out of bed. Having the cath allowed me to really rest that first day. On Day 2, they removed it (painlessly) and I was able to walk without any discomfort and go home. I am so glad that I had one.
Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become. Alyssa
HW/SW246 / GW150 / CW137 5'2"

George B.
on 6/15/11 2:10 am - Miami, FL
I didn't have one.

Three of my co-worker who also had the sleeve also didn't have one inserted during their surgery. The operation takes about an hour. Ask your surgeon if he's going to insert a catheter and if it's possible to have the surgery without it.

I've heard from friends that it's a little painful when removed.

Crunchy As Can Be
on 6/15/11 3:46 am - NY
Mine didn't hurt coming out, just felt a little weird while it was in, especially when you hold the bag up above the level of your bladder and the urine backflows (not good for you to do anyhow, so I'd avoid doing this!).

From my experience working in healthcare, it's only the men who complain of pain while it's coming out... going in is a different story though for males and females, but for bariatric surgery they thankfully put it in while we're asleep!
 ~~Emily~~

Most Active