Warning...TMI. Bowl movement trouble...

SweetiePea
on 6/15/11 1:48 am - IA

I'm 3-1/2weeks post-op and it seems that I haven't had a bowel movement for almost a week. What's the deal??? Is it because of the mushie diet? I don't feel constipated...just noticed I haven't gone in quiet some time. Should I take some type of fiber to get me halfway regular again?

Any suggestions?

Height - 4'10"

George B.
on 6/15/11 1:54 am - Miami, FL
Constipation and WLS go hand in hand.

Early out I would eat Lentil soups 2-3 times a week and the fiber helped keep me regular.
When things go very bad a Glycerine suppository got things moving in about 15 minutes.

Now I take 2 Fiber Gummes every other day to stay regular.

SweetiePea
on 6/15/11 1:55 am - IA
Good tip on fiber gummies...thanks George.

Height - 4'10"

pcannedy
on 6/15/11 1:56 am - Sacramento, CA
I would call the doctor.  That is unusal for so long.  We were told to take Benefiber.  But I stopped because it did not do much.  I take Walmart stool softeners, they work in two days.  Are you drinking water?  That helps too. 

diane S.
on 6/15/11 1:56 am
been there done that. takes awhile to get "going" again. But you should be getting active. I found that taking benefiber  and such didn't really cut it. After trying many things I think the best working thing is a dose of milk of magnesia taken in the evening for relief in the morning. its liquid so not a pill to swallow. stool softeners didn't cut it for me either. many swear by miralax which i didn't try but good old milk of m works. The cherry tastes better than the mint.   If you are still using some protein drinks they can plug you up like cement.   GL   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

emelar
on 6/15/11 2:01 am - TX
Do something about it before it gets serious.  Take milk of magnesia to get everything moving again.  Then you need to experiment to see what works for you - colace, fiber, fat - some combination.

I put one dose of benefiber in my morning coffee and that does it for me.  And, when you can eat regular food again, start incorporating some veggies and good fat (avocados, olives, olive oil) into your diet.
SweetiePea
on 6/15/11 2:01 am - IA
I'm drinking more than enough water. Thought that would be the key to keep everything going plus scared of being dehydrated.

I do have of "M of M" at home but haven't even opened the bottle. Called doctor and said to purchase some suppositories ((accckkk!)). No thanks...I'll take the "M of M" and wait it out. LOL

Just wasn't sure it this was normal. The doc office said everyone is different after WLS.

Thanks so much for your input.
Height - 4'10"

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 2:07 am
My doc gave me miralax for the first month  daily. And it helped alot with going reguraly and softening it.
michellemj
on 6/15/11 2:57 am
My issues are a bit more severe as daily Benefiber and Miralax just aren't enough for me. I'd try those first, but sometimes fiber can be binding depending on your GI system.

This is what I do so I can go every couple of days.

At lunch: 500mg Magnesium Oxide
At bedtime: 1 probiotics capsule (I use primal defense ultra), 500mg Magnesium Oxide and 4 colace

Since I've started this, I haven't had an a problem. I can go every 2-3 days, which isn't as regular as most people, but it's better than the 7-10 days it was before. :)

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

BriarRose
on 6/15/11 3:17 am
My nutritionish suggested adding some healthy fats back into my diet, and that totally did the trick. Avacado slices (1/4 of a small avacado) some olive oil to vegies.... worked well, and continues to do it for me.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active