OT: Question for diabetics and former diabetics

kch561
on 6/17/11 9:18 am - CT
Hi everyone,

I'm pre-op, currently going through the 6 months of (useless, IMO) NUT visits that my insurance requires; with any luck, I should have a date to get sleeved in December. I can hardly wait!  In the meantime, I've been coming to this forum almost every day and learning LOTS; thank you to everyone who posts!

Background:  As part of the medical hoops to jump through beforehand, I had to have my blood drawn and tested.  No big deal.  However, a week later, my PCP's office called to tell me that my fasting blood sugar was "borderline high" at 126. (I've never had any issues before with high blood sugar, so this was a shock.) I was told to watch my diet and get re-tested in 4 months.

Here's where I need some advice -- in the past 10 days, I've noticed I've been more fatigued than usual, have had occasional heart palpitations, and, most unsettling, is that after sitting for a while, when I stand up I feel as if I'm going to faint if I don't sit down immediately -- my field of vision gets narrow and dark and my ears ring. I know for a fact I'm not dehydrated.  I'm wondering if these are symptoms of diabetes and if so, should I make an appointment with an endocrinologist? I'm generally NOT a hypochondriac, but this has me a little concerned.

Thanks for reading and for any insight/advice.

Kelly

MELMEL308
on 6/17/11 9:35 am - PA
I for one am no doctor and it is always best to discuss these symptoms with your doctor.  I have been throughout the years off and on meds for Diabetes (Fluctuating with my weight and now off of them for GOOD!) but other than the fatigue sometimes, I have never gotten dizzy and near to passing out like you are saying.  I will say that I had these types of symptoms before especially when i would lay my head down, or get up to fast.  When speaking with my doctor about it, he suggested that my equelibrium could be off and that our head works on a balance of liquid (Weird I know) so he did a test where I layed down and had my head dangle off the side. He tilted my head slowly back and forth.  I will say that the dizziness and nausia was extremely intense..and it caused me to sweat profusively and have a near passing out like the symptoms you have described.  He had to help me up and had me sit in the office for a good half hour before I could stand.. BUT, It fixed me...the weirdest thing i have ever had to do..

But like I said, this is just something i thought i would share from my experience.. Please speak with your doctor.. it could be a number of things.. your blood pressure could be dropping too low, or your sugars could also be too low..
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
kch561
on 6/17/11 10:04 am - CT
Thanks, Melanie. I'm glad your equilibrium was fixed and that you're also off diabetes meds for good as a result of your WLS!

Thininmymind
on 6/17/11 9:56 am
Other than fatigue, those are not symptoms of diabetes. It doesn't seem necessary but if you are concerned you can buy a meter and test your own bg. Walgreens, Walmart, CVS all have sales and rebates that make a meter free and many of them come with 10 test strips. You would need to read the box. They don't require a prescription. Another alternative is buying a bottle of diastix that test glucose and ketones in your urine.

Most useful blood sugars are fasting in the morning- if its above normal after your body has had all night to bring it down, you have a problem. Also eating a carb heavy meal and testing two hours later-if you are quite high you are developing impaired glucose control/insulin resistance.

If you feel you need to see a doctor, your PCP can handle a diabetes diagnosis, and you wouldn't really need an Endo until you were diagnosed.

Gastric Sleeve July 2011 Steven Simper - BL January 2013 Brian Brzowski - LBL March 2013 Brian Brzowski

kch561
on 6/17/11 10:07 am - CT
Thank you so much! You gave me a great idea. I just called a friend of mine whose young daughter is diabetic, and she's going to give me one of the meters her daughter's doctor gives her for free tomorrow, so I can test myself then. Good to know about checking first thing in the morning! I'm learning SO much from this board. Thanks again.

Sandy S.
on 6/17/11 10:00 am
I'm not a dotor either, but i am a diabetic.  All of your symptoms coulds be related to high or low blood sugar or hypertension or even a reaction to something new in your diet.  If you have a friend who is a diabetic have him/her check it -fasting and another part of the day. Are you taking medication for blood sugar?  You dose might be too high for your needs.  i never notice a change in how I feel when my sugar is too high, but if it gets low I am dizzy, tired,- all in all feel like crap.  If you are only borderline, it will get better,  I had surgery this past Monday and at discharge my surgeon took me off all my diabetic medication  my sugar was fine without them. Whoo hoo! Anyway call your doctor with your symptoms.  Let him be the judge.  126 is not alarmingly high, but you should keep an eye on it.  Good luck

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
kch561
on 6/17/11 10:12 am - CT
Hi Sandy,
Thanks so much. That's great news that you're doing OK without your diabetes medication so soon after surgery! Whoo hoo, indeed!
To answer your question, no, I am not currently taking any medication for blood sugar.  I think if my readings are high tomorrow after I check using a borrowed meter from a friend (I will do both fasting and nonfasting), I will definitely call my PCP and tell her my symptoms.  I just hate to be one of those people who goes to the doctor all the time for every little thing, but if I'm going to get the WLS, I suppose I should get used to seeing doctors more frequently! Thanks again.

bluehootowl
on 6/17/11 10:42 am - CO
Hi, I am a Type II diabetic.  12 years into it. Insulin dependant and oral meds.  Fatigue is a symptom of high blood sugar.  If you feel this need to sleep that is extreme after meals then you probably have elevated Blood sugar level.  Go see a doctor.  You can control your diabetes with diet and oral meds very quickly.  The fact that you may have a comorbity like diabetes makes it even better from a "will my insurance cover this"  The even better part is that as you lose weight, your BSL will naturally drop.
   My background is in medicine.  I am a scrub.  I understand how you feel about the hoops. Frustrating sometimes.  i only have two months to go and will have my sleeve in Sept.  Not soon enough but you will be surprised how fast it goes.  Reach out if you have any other questions. Good Luck
Bluehootowl
kch561
on 6/17/11 11:14 am - CT
Hi Bluehootowl,
Thanks for sharing that with me.  The fatigue isn't specific to any one time of day or right after I eat -- it's all day long, unfortunately.  Some nights, no joke, I fall asleep at 8:30 pm!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about how, if I do turn out to have diabetes, this will be in my favor when it comes time for insurance to decide whether I get the surgery or not! 

In any case, I'm glad you're only 2 months away from your surgery and reassured that the time will go by quickly. I hope all goes well for you in September! Thanks again for your insight/advice.

johnbertak
on 6/17/11 1:07 pm - MD
I was diabetic (T2) for 3 years prior to my surgery 6.5 mos. ago.  I was on several meds including a daily shot of insulin; I stopped all diabetes meds a few days before surgery and came home from the hospital diabetes-free.  (Also lost sleep apnea in the hospital, go figure?)  Since I've now lost over 140 lbs., I've also lost high blood pressure and mild arthritis.  My grandson (I'm 65) may be right b/c he said I wasn't just getting smaller, that I was also getting "younger."  Good luck as you begin your WLS journey - work hard, be consistent, and all will go well for you.
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

Most Active