Make it STOP!!

No More Spanx
on 6/20/11 12:41 pm - Rock Island, IL

I am 10 days out and was feeling pretty good until this weekend.  I started to itch.  First it was around my incisions, which I expected to happen when they started to heal.  Then my hand where the IV was (this was completely healed no abcesses or anything, just a little bruise and a tiny scab).  Finally, now everything is itching.  Mostly my legs, on the right and left side of my torso ahhhh...

I took 2 benedry after talking to my Dr. but it didn't help.  I haven't changed washing or laundry soap, and I have only been drinking water and protein bullets which I started from day 1 without any issues.  Any ideas or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Ann

HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

jennifersmithee
on 6/20/11 12:47 pm - Farmers Branch, TX
Did you have steri strips on your incisions? When I had my gallbladder taken out my surgeon used Mastistol to adhere them to my skin and I had the exact same reaction about a week out even after then strips were taken off. After about the second week everything resolved itself and I was fine.
I don't if that helps but could be something to look into.
BTW.. what are protein bullets?

No More Spanx
on 6/20/11 1:40 pm - Rock Island, IL
Oh,  a protein bullet is like concentrated protein.  It packs a whopping 42g of protein.  Its very thick and sweet tasting (not in a good way).  It was the only protein I was able to get down during my clear liquid phase.  I am now on full liquids, so I am looking forward to NOT having them unless I am really running short of time and protein.  Oddly enough they did not bother my stomach.

Ann

Lisa D.
on 6/20/11 1:01 pm - New Orleans, LA
I agree with Jenn about he steri strips and the mastisol.  More people than you would think have a bad reaction to the adhesives and tape.  If you get a rash all over along with the itching it would sound more like something you ingested.  Could be anything from a new med, new food or drink, the materials that your ted stockings were made of.  Have you rever had a reaction to latex?  Just some ideas.  Give the benedryl more than 1 dose to work.  If it gets worse or that rash appears go to the doc.  Hope it resolves soon!!!
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

No More Spanx
on 6/20/11 1:35 pm - Rock Island, IL

OH Thank you!  I did have steri strips and they are still on (only one incision has fallen off).  I have never been allergic to anything.  I do not have a rash, just the blasted itching.  I will do another dose of BD and see if that helps.

Ann

Jennifer S.
on 6/20/11 1:41 pm, edited 6/20/11 1:44 pm - CA
 In my pre-op I had itching. Then my NUT told me to add some type of oil to my diet.  My change in diet made my skin itch. I added butter to my soup and was so much better. Lotion after my shower helped too. Good luck.

Jennifer    
prayinghard2day
on 6/20/11 2:35 pm
Are you taking anything for pain?  That usually causes itching for me.

Sista10
on 6/20/11 2:52 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
I had exactly the same thing happen. My surgery was May 26th and about 10 or 11 days out I was so itchy, my lower back was the worst, and under my arms, no ra**** lasted 5 or 6 days and slowly went away.
Not sure what caused, but it's gone now.
Shan
Jennchap
on 6/20/11 3:05 pm - CA
I had the same problem! It started with incisions and then moved all over my tummy and boobs. This happened to me with every surgery Ive ever had. I am thinking that it is the anesthesia… It started about a week or so out and then went on for weeks before dissipating.
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

ZenBunni
on 6/20/11 9:31 pm - Ashburn, VA
Had crazy rash after couple weeks from the adhesive. My stomach and arms were all bumpy and itchy. I used Benadryl cream and took as many benadryls as I could (and still stay awake!). It passes, just have to get it out of your system. Your body is freaking out in so many ways right now, give everything time to catch up and heal =)

Sorry it sucks - but just keep putting cream on it!

Most Active