Calorie intake?

daniela S.
on 6/19/11 1:28 pm - Albuquerque, NM
Hey everyone,
So i got my surgery in India and I need some nutritionist help that you guys probably already got.... I was wondering how many calories I should be eating one year out when I still have 20 lbs to lose?

_rebecca
on 6/19/11 2:02 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I eat about 1100 calories a day and I work out.  I have been losing pretty steadily.  I do avoid most white carbs (bread, etc), but I do eat fruits and healthy carbs.
rdd9348
on 6/19/11 2:35 pm - OR
I just looked through my surgeon's literature, which is pretty thorough, and it actually doesn't specify a calorie goal (just 60-80 grams of protein, 3 meals per day, eat until pouch is full, then stop).  But I recall that someone asked that question in one of my pre-op nutrition classes, and I believe the answer was "somewhere between 900-1200 is average". 
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
frisco
on 6/19/11 6:48 pm

Wow,

You have done great!

My plan was

- 600-800 cal a day

- 70grms (women) 90grms (men) protein

- 40grms or less Carbs

- 64oz. fluids

I was at a similar place as you one year out...... he told me to just keep doing what I was doing.

I will say... the last 20 you really gotta work at it.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

George B.
on 6/20/11 12:46 am - Miami, FL
My plan was almost identical.

600-800 calories per day when losing weight.
1,200 calories per day when maintaining.

Best of luck,
George

johnbertak
on 6/19/11 9:13 pm - MD
All along my program has focused on well-balanced nutrition and making sure you get enough protein.  That said, I've averaged 1100-1400 calories daily since returning to solid foods - it may seem like a lot, however, I religiously exercise to "burn" a minimum of 500 calories every single day- no days off, ever.  The "net" calories are somewhere in the 600-800 range and my weight loss has been nothing short of fantastic.  I'm down 143 lbs. @ 6.5 mos. post-op. (includes 24 lbs. lost pre-op)  I think the "calorie count" like the protein numbers, should be adjusted for the size of the person.  I'm 6'1" and started this journey at 425 lbs.; that's a lot different than someone who is 5'2" and 225 lbs.
Mostly I walk, walk, walk - minimum of 3 mi. rapid walk daily - but I'm now walking the golf course 2 or 3 times per week (7+ mi.) and getting back to the swimming pool in addition to the walking in my moderately hilly neighborhood.  Feeling great - few aches or pains now - biggest problem I'm currently having is the need to go to the local thrift shops so often to find clothes that fit.  Great problem.
I am one happy 65-year-old w/ a happy wife, and a proud bunch of family and friends.  Life is grand!
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

daniela S.
on 6/20/11 4:34 am - Albuquerque, NM
Ok from what most of you posted your intake is roughly 1100 calories which is what I thought I was eating, but since I started tracking calories I noticed I am eating more. I started planning my day if what i will eat the day before so that I have a set plan. I need to workout which I haven't been doing lately because of being busy but I guess if I want to get this weight off I have go keep putting in gut work.

Do any of you do a good workout that burns 500+ Calories in not to long of a workout?

Anyone who is in the last few pounds....how did you get it off and did you have to keep really restricting calories?

daniela S.
on 6/20/11 4:40 am - Albuquerque, NM
Oh and should it be 600-800 calories be after workout like 1100 calories from food and 500 burned to make my 600 calories or just eat 600 calories and then to the workout on top of that?

Helllpppp I'm so confused lol

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views