Pickles anyone???

slimmingsammy
on 6/21/11 11:34 am
Hey yall!!!

I'm on my 2nd week of reducing my meals so this week I'm replacing 2 meals with protein shakes and eating one meal.  My biggest snack/meal craze of all times is kosher dill pickles.  I know they can be high in sodium but seeing how they have little to no fat, can I eat them right now?  My surgery is scheduled for July 5th.  I am a total pickle fanatic....not just regular pickles either...I love pickled baby corn, pickled okra, pickled garlic, pickled cauliflower, pickled beets etc.  I haven't had any pickles for a week and I'm having withdrawals.  Any ideas???

Samantha
Elaine2
on 6/21/11 11:49 am - Atlanta, GA
Since you're not on liquid only, I don't see why you couldn't have it/them with your meal. A pickled HB egg would have some protein.
However, post op....even when you get to regular food... the acidy vinegar might be a little rough but only time will tell.
PS----I'd put a  major skip on the pickled okra!!!

slimmingsammy
on 6/21/11 11:54 am
You've made much progress!!!  Congrats!!!  Thanks for your input...
CoolBeans
on 6/21/11 11:54 am - MD
I love pickles, too. (I am a big fan of Mount Olive.) I would love to hear how people have done with them post op.  The sodium thing is an issue, but they have sometimes helped me through some of those cravings for the salty carbs.  

Cari    
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 1:16 pm
It's weird- I love pickled stuff & OMG I love olives.. I have a whole shelf in the fridge covered. 
I used to crave them constantly pre-op, I haven't since I had VSG?? Strange. I did have a few olives, no problems, but I just don't crave them as much anymore..
viola_120
on 6/21/11 11:16 pm - FL
I'm with you about the olives Jo777.  I used to eat them constantly before surgery.  I stumbled upon them in my husband's lunch the other day and started eating them.  5 olives completely fills me up--mmmm they were delish---but really not craving them.
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
Rosebud_is_a_sled
on 6/21/11 12:06 pm
For the last two weeks, I eat pickles almost everyday.  No problems so far, but I only eat one or two small ones.  They kind of help me when I am craving something sweet believe it or not.
MediumSoon
on 6/21/11 1:44 pm - TX
Can't imagine why they would be a problem but you'll definitely have to make up for the sodium by adding water - which may be difficult in the beginning.

May D.
on 6/21/11 2:35 pm
 I ate pickles as soon as I could eat solid foods.  I love them, but I eat them as a snack, in between meals and when I'm really craving something salty.  
jmart76
on 6/21/11 3:14 pm
 Pickles and green olives were a huge part of my diet before my surgery. I had cravings when I went through the liquid diet. But I haven't eaten them since and oddly enough I haven't missed them. I'm sure I'll add them back into my diet at some point. Just not on a daily basis that I used to have them. 

Ht 5'6 
Surgery Date: April 6, 2011
Wt at surgery was 232

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views