Low Ferratin/Anemia and Hypothroid issues?

ZenBunni
on 6/21/11 11:50 pm - Ashburn, VA
I just got my most recent bloodwork and apparently I have low ferratin which is starting to cause anemia. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

I know its simply from my diet change, no more 8oz steak for dinner LOL. I have always suspected that I have hypothryoid, but none of my bloodwork ever came back that way. NOW, that I am losing weight its becoming more obvious. This just seems backwards to me?!

byebyeburden
on 6/22/11 12:01 am
Not sure, you may have always been hypothyroid?  I was prior to surgery.  Right now those labs look good.  But, my ferratin, calcium and others are not so good.  I go back in a few weeks to get retested. 

For me, I was surprised at how low my vitamins were, because I do eat and a variety of food...good luck
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

dec721
on 6/22/11 5:41 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Yes, I have recently been diagnosed with severe anemia (I feel like crap!).  I'm in the midst of tons of tests to see if I am losing blood or just not making iron.  I can't believe it is because I'm not ingesting enough, because I have been eating beef all along, as well as other iron-rich foods, and taking an iron supplement.  So I suppose I'll find out the cause pretty soon.

If it isn't one thing, it's another, huh??
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

ZenBunni
on 6/22/11 5:57 am - Ashburn, VA
Thanks =) Let me know if you find out anything!

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 6:37 am - Woodbridge, VA
Iron/ferritin issues are not uncommon with the VSG. Regardless of eating iron-rich foods, two things are working against you once you have a VSG:

1 - Food stays in the stomach for less time, which means less digestion/absorption while in the stomach.
2 - Smaller stomach = less acid, and iron requires acid to be properly processed and absorbed (plus lots of us also end up taking acid reducers, so even less acid).

Even though there is no intestinal bypass, the reduced stomach capacity and change in shape can result in malabsorption of certain nutrients.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend trying a heme form of iron (name brand Proferrin ES if you buy online, Proferrin Forte if you get via prescription) because it is less picky than other iron supplements (others don't play nice with calcium, which you should also be taking, and require additional vitamin C for improved absorption). It's more expensive than other iron supplements, but it also is much more effective for many folks.
ZenBunni
on 6/22/11 10:45 am - Ashburn, VA
Oh Jill thats excellent! Thanks =)

Michelle F.
on 6/22/11 11:41 am
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last week and my 3 month WLS labs came back perfect except for Iron Deficient Anemia! Both seem to be linked and also not uncommon after VSG, or so I've heard.

I am seeing my new primary care doc tomorrow to see what he says, and my surgeon in a few weeks, and then and endocrinologist after that. Hopefully between the 3 they will be able to fix it because I feel like crap!

Good luck getting your issues fixed as well.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views