3 Years Post VSG, 10 Years Post Lap-Band

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/23/11 12:08 am - Jacksonville, FL
 Hi All:

I don't come to the boards much anymore, but now that I'm considering plastics, I'm starting to look around again. :)

So, I had a Lap-Band placed in June 2001 right about the time it was approved by the FDA.  I did O.K.--losing 90-95 pounds--but then I ran into issues with constant vomiting, food intolerances, etc.  I got pregnant, had my Band unfilled (per surgeon's instructions), and never was able to refill successfully again.  I maintained my weight loss pretty well...but it creeped up and up after each pregnancy (three in total****il I was at 270.  I researched the VSG for about 2-3 years before having my revision in July 2008.

I lost 50 pounds in about 5-6 months with my VSG and nothing more.  I never had a lot of restriction from about 6 weeks out--which my surgeon says happens with some people.  He aso mentioned that i had a very long stomach. (?)  Still, I was very happy.  Quality of life was so much better than with the Lap-Band.  I had some Vitamin D issues and PTH issues at 6 months, but with Vitalady's help, got those under control.  My type 2 resolved.  Then about 15 months post-op, I got pregnant with my 4th child.  Great pregnancy.  Virtually no weight gain (5 pounds is all), although I was not trying to not gain weight.  What happened is pregnancy gave me back my sleeve in a way.  I had restriction.  I had reflux.  So I didn't eat as much as before.

After the baby was born, my weight dropped to about 210 (so 10 pounds less than prepregnancy).  I was breastfeeding and decided to try the new WW plan.  Did that for all of 2 weeks, but it got me below 200.  First time in 23 years.  :)  About a month of so ago, hopped on the scale and I was 188.  Lowest adult weight ever.  Totally psyched.  Totally without effort.

My original goal with surgery was 190.  After stopping losing so early, I thought I'd never reach it unless I had a DS.  I'm very happy to be at goal, actually sightly below.  I thought I'd offer this up to people who may have stopped weight loss early on.  You never know what the future holds.  I'd love to tell you that I did something to change things, but I really didn't.   The two weeks on weigh****cher's seemed to get things going--and that was on breastfeeding points at that.  

Whatever my weight, maintaining the weight loss has always been effortless.  I'm thankful for that with the Sleeve.  Quality of life can't be beat.  Pregnancy with a sleeve was 1000x better than with a Band--although I'm blessed that all of my pregnancies were healthy.

Please, please don't forget about bloodwork--even many years out.  Even with "just a sleeve", you can have issues--and I did early on.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Bigasiangirl
on 6/23/11 12:15 am
VSG on 06/01/11 with
Thanks for sharing.  Congratulations on reaching goal and also on all your babies! 

Lalamonkey
on 6/23/11 12:45 am - GA
Great post - Very happy for you and the success (and a baby too!!!).  Congrats on your successful journey.
Smardeepants
on 6/23/11 2:29 am
What a great post! CONGRATS on getting to goal! 

I love that you didn't give up.... I'm still pre-op, but have been sucked into quitting SO. MANY. TIMES.... because of failure. Nice to know it will work, as long as I'm willing to use it! 

Zee Starrlite
on 6/23/11 2:46 am

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Ms Shell
on 6/23/11 3:09 am - Hawthorne, CA
It is SO good to see you again.  And kudos on being at goal.  I remember you and well thanks for coming and posting.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/23/11 3:32 am - Jacksonville, FL
 Wow...Zee and Ms. Shell.  I didn't think anybody I knew would still be here. :)

So good to see you both. :)

I never thought I'd get below 200, so it's so nice to finally be here.  Weird to be considering plastics, but my thighs are just too scary.  It hurts to run from all of the extra skin.  

I seem to remember your having had plastics Ms. Shell--how did that go? Any recomendations? 

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

koshermama
on 6/23/11 3:43 am
Thank you for your story!! I am trying to read as many positive stories as I can :)

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
sublimate
on 6/23/11 3:55 am - San Jose, CA
That's great to hear you are doing so well! I also have less restriction than a lot of folks from early on. I probably have a longer/stretchier stomach than others. It makes it that more important for me to choose my foods wisely, so I try as much as possible to stick to lean meats and veggies to fill up my sleeve with less damage.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 7:57 am - CA
 Great Job Karla! What an inspiration!

Blessings,
Jenny
Most Active