Reflux and Protein Consumption

ZenBunni
on 6/30/11 6:13 pm - Ashburn, VA
I am one of the VSG'ers that didnt have reflux before surgery, but do now. I have noticed a big correlation with how much protein I eat and my reflux. If I actually eat what I am supposed to (protein and veggies) I need to take 2 PPI's a day - one is not enough. If I eat fun-loving fat-gaining carbs, Nnnnooooo problem on the reflux!

So my questions is - Does anyone take a 2x daily PPI? Wondering about the long term issues with 2 PPI's and Sleeve. Obviously I would like to take as little as possible, but as much as needed.

George B.
on 7/1/11 1:12 am - Miami, FL
2 PPI daily is not unheard of. I was on 1 PPI for 6 months post-op and didn't have a reflux problem unless I ate chicken, spicy foods or tomato based sauces.

My wife had the VSG in Febreuary and was prescribed 2 PPI for the first year post-op. 

The reflux could also be a result of eating too much or too fast.

Good luck,
George

sass.a.frass
on 7/1/11 1:47 pm - white oak, TX
You're in MY head Zen!!!! I've recently upped my protein and OMGosh! What is this YUCK in my tummy and throat????????????? I've been wondering if I could double up too......

Insanity is doing the same things over and over, but expecting different results.

Sass.a.frass

ZenBunni
on 7/1/11 10:05 pm - Ashburn, VA
Oh its not about eating too much or too fast, I only get it at night - REALLY bad. And before you ask about eating a few hours before bedtime, propping up the pillow, etc etc .... I can fall asleep on the couch VERTICAL and get woken up with reflux.

If I take 2 PPI's I am fine. If I take 1 in the AM, forget it - by night its like I took nothing. If I take 1 at night, its better but have a hard time after dinner before the PPI kicks in.

I just wondered if anyone else takes 2.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views