Clinic/Surgeon recommendations, East Coast USA?

akindofmagick
on 7/4/11 1:01 pm - MD
Sigh - this is it. I'm self-pay. Three different insurance companies in 3 years due to my company being bought out, then me changing companies last month - and NONE of them are willing to cover VSG for me, because I'm not heavy enough and have insufficient co-morbidities. Meantime, I've gained 12 pounds. Three more years and I'll have 2 years at 40% bmi - and be that much closer to a heart bypass and diabetes.

I live in Maryland. Have done all the preliminaries at Johns Hopkins Bayview, and am happy with them (very!) EXCEPT: they want $17,500 or thereabouts up-front, cash in hand, three weeks before they'll schedule a surgery date.  I really like Dr. S and the staff there, but - OUCH.

As a single Mom, I need a top surgeon in a clinic rather close to Maryland, preferably in the under $13K range.

After all the research I've done, I'd happily go to Mexico, but for various reasons, it's not an option.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance,

Sheri

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

PsychoWriter
on 7/4/11 1:19 pm - St Petersburg, FL
NOT TO AD FUEL TO THE FIRE OF FRUSTRATION OR ANYTHING BUT TELL ME ABOUT IT.  I'M JUST STARTING IN WITH MY INSURANCE CO BUT REALLY, TECHNICALLY, ON PAPER I CAN'T EVEN REALLY AFFORD MY MONTHLY PAYMENTS BUT AT THE SAME TIME I CAN'T AFFORD TO DO THIS SELF PAY EITHER.  I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND THE MAIN HOSPITAL HERE IN ST. PETERSBURG THAT DOES ALL THE WLS IS LIKE 28,0000 WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE.  AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT TRYING TO FINANCE.  I HAVE A BANKRUPTCY FROM ABOUT A YEAR BACK, STUDENT LOANS....ETC.  THERE'S NO WAY I COULD FINANCE.  I MEAN, I DON'T EVEN MAKE 28K A YEAR.  BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.  I'LL SAY A PRAYER FOR BOTH OF US.
Onedaysoon
on 7/4/11 1:41 pm - PA
I wish I had some good advice...I live close to you just over the MD PA line about 45 mins from Baltimore. I have had a good experience with my surgeon so far, but have not had my surgery yet....though he has many, many excellent reviews. If you are self-pay I would think you would need to do some major 'shopping around' to find a surgeon at a rate you may be able to afford here in the US. I have heard great things about many, many non-US surgeons...but I know you said that is not an option for you. I have heard some say as low as $7000 all expenses included in Mexico, but again I have had no first hand experience. Good luck to you! I hope you are able to find something that works and you are able to move forward with what you want.
~Carly~
~

roundater
on 7/4/11 2:00 pm - Lincoln, NE
Check the local boards under MD and surrounding states. They may have some good recommendations for you. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

lucy2e
on 7/4/11 11:44 pm - Laurel, MD
I don't know what the charges would be since I did thru insurance - but I love my surgeon and would highly recommend him - his name is Andrew Averbach and he does surgery through St. Agnes in Baltimore - Dr. Singh with St. Agnes is also very good. 

You might want to call their offices and see what the self pay would be... and if they have any payment options available.

A lot of people on here also go the Mexico route when they are self pay.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views