BMI for Sleeve

keywest
on 7/5/11 1:54 pm
I attended a support group meeting for post op gastric bypass and sleeve members tonight.  I mentioned I am new and hoping to have the sleeve in September.  I was told that most doctors will only do the sleeve for patients that have very high BMIs of 50 or of a very large size like 450 lbs.  In January, I weighed 250 lbs. and I am now down to 232 lbs.

Did any of you sleevers experience this?  Did you have an high BMI or really had to a very large amount of weight.  I am looking to lose about 100-120lbs.

Worried my surgeion will not do the sleeve because of my current BMI of 43.  I haven't meet with the surgeon.  You hae to go thru the process of completing all requirements then you meet with the surgeon a few weeks before surgery for the consult.
HW: 250      SW: 237      CW: 174   Goal: 125     Height: 5'1    Surgery Date: 10/17/11

ruggie
on 7/5/11 2:06 pm - Sacramento, CA
Discuss it with your surgeon. My surgeon is a fan of the sleeve for lower BMI patients, others are not. Just ask him/her

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Katb_15
on 10/30/15 2:29 am

Please tell me who your surgeon was. I have aBMI of 30.5 and have struggled with my weight my 5 years

MenagerieNik
on 7/5/11 2:09 pm
I have not heard that at all for sleeve. I have heard of it for gastric bypass. My BMI was 47 (and starting weight was 280) and I had the option of band, sleeve, or bypass, however my surgeon agreed with me that band was too little and bypass too much. I have seen people on here who started in the mid to low 200s before they got their sleeve. Each surgeon is different, but the stats you're talking about seem very over inflated to me. 

HW: 285 SW: 267 GW: 130
rdd9348
on 7/5/11 2:29 pm - OR
My BMI was around 42 when I started the program.  There was never an issue about it.  My insurance covered anything over 35 if you had type II diabetes. 
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
cece58
on 7/5/11 2:31 pm - CA
My BMI was 35 and I have had excellent results. I discussed it with my surgeon at my first consultation and he had lots of data on the lower BMI patients and how successful the VGS was. You can go to his website and check out all of his data because it is very impressive. The website is www.lapsf.com. I believe that he has the most extensive data on VGS.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

2BSheila
on 7/5/11 2:47 pm - Nashville, TN
My BMI was exactly 40 when I had my consultation, and the sleeve was the option which both my surgeon and I preferred.  No problem getting the insurance to agree either.   According to my reading, VSG is preferred for those of us with BMI's in the 40 range.  The sleeve is the first part of a 2 part procedure for those with a very high BMI, allowing them to lose some weight and better tolerate the second surgery which provides for malabsorption.  VSG gives restriction only, thus it may not be as effective for those with very high BMI's, though you will see many on this forum who have lost amazingly well with only the restriction.

Talk with your surgeon, or call the office and clarify their position.  If they advise against the sleeve due to your BMI, I'd get a second opinion before deciding.  Malabsorption has many more possible consequences than restriction, and you need to be comfortable with your decision. 

One other warning:  you'll find that many of us are rather confident that our particular surgery is the best.  You said that the group you attended had both bypass and sleeve members in it.  You may have run into a few satisfied bypass folks, who were sincerely sharing their own experiences.  That's all I'm doing too.  None of us are infallible, just be sure that you are comfortable with the surgery which you select.  Have written questions when you meet with your surgeon.   He/she may seem to have a timeline for you, ("a few weeks before surgery") but you can slow it down to take the time to get your questions answered if you just ask.  And all surgeons don't have the same pre and post op restrictions.  I specifically did not select one surgeon because he requires a pre-op 2 week clear liquid diet, and I didn't see a reason to do that if I could find an experienced surgeon who did not find that particular restriction necessary.

For me, I'm delighted with my life since VSG (OK, the first few weeks weren't so delightful, but tolerable).  And my current BMI is 33!  Best wishes on your journey.        

New_me2011
on 7/5/11 3:18 pm - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
 I  agree, discuss this with your surgeon, however according to my insurance and research, a BMI  of 40 with no co morbidities or a BMI of 35 with at least 1 co morbidities is usually required to qualify for WL surgery, so I definitely believe that you will qualify.  Like the previous poster noted, I met with my surgeon, and using a specialized scale he determined by BMI to be 40.1 and recommended the VSG because the lap band might not have been aggressive enough and the bypass was too aggressive. Stay encouraged and optimistic and I hope this helps.
roundater
on 7/5/11 7:58 pm - Lincoln, NE
My surgeon's and insurance guideline was 40 or greater BMI or 35 or greater BMI if comorbidities (diabetes sleep apnea etc). Do check with your surgeon as everyone uses different guidelines. Let me know if I can help.
Rich Sonderegger

Herbie55
on 7/5/11 10:45 pm - MI
My BMI was around 43 also and was not questioned as to whether it was high enough. I think the majority of people on this forum ranged from 35-45 with some higher and some lower. Mostly the 40 without and 35 with comorbities are because of insurance requirements and not doctors reguirements. If the doctor you are dealing with does not want to do the VSG for you, find another doctor.
Most Active