OT: Need to vent about my PCP

kch561
on 7/11/11 6:51 am - CT
So I'm 3 months into the insurance-required 6 months of nutritionist visits.  About 5 weeks ago, I started developing strange symptoms out of the blue -- lightheadedness upon standing, low blood pressure (it dropped ~30 points from sitting to standing), blurry vision, and extreme fatigue. Figuring I was dehyrated, I made an effort to drink more water (64-80 oz a day), which definitely helped the situation, especially the lightheadedness, but did not make the symptoms go away entirely.  In any case, I go to my PCP, who orders bloodwork. Everything came back negative (Lyme, B12 deficiency, anemia, thyroid) but my fasting blood sugar was 126. The PCP didn't seem overly concerned about that.  After spending all weekend in bed, sleeping 14-16 hours each day, I called the PCP today and asked where do we go from here? Her nurse told me that unless my symptoms get worse, there's nothing the doctor can do for me and that I should make an appointment with a psychiatrist!! WTF?? 

My first instinct is to request my medical records and go find another PCP, but I'm afraid that doing so might irk her and she'll rescind the letter of recommendation she already wrote to my bariatric surgeon.   Has anyone else changed PCPs during the whole WLS process?  If so, was it detrimental to the process?  

Thanks in advance for your insight/advice.

Kelly

Kristy R.
on 7/11/11 6:58 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I changed PCP and it didn't make one bit of difference.  I have a PPO, and I didn't even really need much input from my PCP though the entire process.  We just kept her advised and she did a pre-op check-up that I scheduled with her.  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

kch561
on 7/11/11 9:59 am - CT
Thanks, Kristy, that's encouraging to hear that things went smoothly for you despite changing your PCP.  I really need to ditch mine big time!

Smardeepants
on 7/11/11 7:21 am
If you have an HMO you could change to another PCP in your same medical group and it shouldn't even make a blip on the radar. I actually was forced to change midway as my old PCP retired and I was assigned someone new.

I didn't love the new Dr. (weeks and weeks for an appointment, regardless of the severity) but they were skilled at the WLS process so I stayed until everything was done. I'm changing as of the 1st.

Good luck, sorry you're going through all of this! 

kch561
on 7/11/11 9:56 am - CT
Thanks for the well wishes. My insurance is a PPO.  Sorry to hear you've had to change your PCP not once but twice! Not easy or fun, I'm sure.

roundater
on 7/11/11 7:34 am - Lincoln, NE
Sorry you are gong through all this. If you find a know doctor that is supportive and will recommend and can document that you have all of the required insurance stuff changing PCP should not be a problem. Might check to see what your surgeon says.
Rich Sonderegger

kch561
on 7/11/11 9:51 am - CT
Thanks, Rich. Great idea! I just sent an e-mail message to my surgeon's wonderfully responsive and kind patient coordinator to ask him about this; will probably get a response back tomorrow.

roundater
on 7/11/11 11:50 am - Lincoln, NE
You're welcome. Let me know if I can help further and hope your surgery goes as positively and smoothly as mine did.
Rich Sonderegger

kimbethin
on 7/11/11 9:33 am - CA
Hi Kelly,
I'm not an MD but are you taking any BP meds or diuretics?  As you loose weight, doses may need to be changed.  The doc won't take back the approval, but it does seem like a good idea to make a change.  My surgeon stressed how important it is to have a supportive pcp to make it through this process.   Good luck to you and keep drinking!!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
kch561
on 7/11/11 9:54 am - CT
Hi Kim,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, I'm not taking any BP medication or diuretics (even at my current highest-ever weight, I've always had normal or slighly below-normal BP).  Good point about needing a supportive PCP to get through this process.  I know a change is a really good idea; I just want to be smart about the timing of it.  Thanks again.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 33 views