WEIGHT GAIN AFTER BREAST CANCER!!

Leezette72
on 7/12/11 7:24 am - Baltimore, MD
July 20th will mark my 2 year Sleeve Anniversary which has been a long hard road of ups and downs. In the beginning I was losing weight nicely, I went from 263lbs to 193 lbs by February 2010.  One months later after, 4 days after my 38th birthday,  I was diagnosed with breast cancer and spent all last summer going thru chemo treatments. While on chemo I lost another 15lbs taking me down to 178lbs. This was the smallest I had ever been in my adult life but that all quickly changed when I was off chemo treatments and started another drug called herceptin. I started that in August of 2010 and since then I have gained 40lbs. I am miserable, sad and some times depressed about my weight. I feel like having weight loss surgery was a waste.

This drug will end hopefully this August and I am praying I will be able to lose the weight. I exercise 2 days a week and walk on Saturdays and I still gain weight.. At times I get so depressed that I snack all day. I hate that I feel like I will never be thin!! My family and friends all tell me be thankful I am healthy. I am thankful for life, health and strength but I want to be thin. They don't understand how I feel to be so close to my goal and have this happen to me.

Sometimes I feel embarrassed to be around some of my family and friends because I have gained most of the weight back. Even though they all know what I have gone through in the past year. I am so overwhelmed with gaining weight that it sometimes consumes my thoughts and then I am an emotional wreck.

My poor husband hates to hear me talk like this but doesn't have to carry this weight. I am now 225lbs and it sucks!  I truly hope when this is completely all over that I am able to get back on track and lose these extra pounds. I know it will be a challenge for me but I have to encourage myself  and pray alot...

Thanks for listening...Keep me in your prayers!
Kelley_S
on 7/12/11 7:41 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/23/10 with
Herceptin generally does not make you gain weight. Are you having a lot of fluid retention? It sounds like a lot of your weight gain is due to your depression, stress eating, and general stress level in your life (which, believe me, is completely understandable).

Herceptin should only last one year after chemo ends. So you should be just about finished with it. I would try looking on the bright side because a lot of breast cancer patients who are not hormone receptor positive (ER. PR or HER-2) don't have that option. So hopefully you won't have to fight this battle again. Stay strong and try to get your body moving and going for walks, etc to burn extra calories. STOP GRAZING. You CAN get back on track and come back stronger than ever from this.

Good luck to you! I'll be thinking of you

Hislady
on 7/12/11 8:15 am - Vancouver, WA
Cancer sucks and that's just the way it is, I've been there too. Hon sometimes life throws you a curve and you just have to deal with it. Remember this isn't forever, you are nearly done with the treatment so just hang on a little longer. I agree with the OP sounds like depression is more your issue than weight gain, you know you can lose the weight you did that before! You may need medication for the depression to help you move on. It's easy to get stuck in depression and then just wallow there. Take that big step and talk to one of your docs about antidepressants, they can work wonders. Turn to our Lord and He will hold your hand along the way, God bless!
injeneral
on 7/12/11 8:59 am
Just said a prayer for you :)

Can I suggest maybe seeing a therapist? You have been through a lot the past two years and I'm sure this post is just scratching the surface. I bet it would be so helpful to weed through your emotions with a neutral party. Good luck to you!! Keep posting :D
roundater
on 7/12/11 12:12 pm - Lincoln, NE
Praying for you to beat the big C. Sorry you have had the setback and another prayer for you to be able to get back on track and lose that weight. I believe you will come out of this an even stronger person. Take care and let me know it I can help.
Rich Sonderegger

onehappygirl
on 7/12/11 3:03 pm
Leezette, when August rolls around, and that is less than a month away, you can once again treat your sleeve as if it is brand new. All you have to do is get back on the program, work your sleeve, protein first, and all that stuff, and you will start losing like Blixen again. And yes, you will become thin again. Your sleeve has not left you, it will be there waiting for you, and will work for you once again. It is true. If you can fight cancer, you can do anything.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views