Wine and cheese

Elena22
on 7/19/11 12:43 am
Pre op, I always enjoyed these wine and cheese parties that a group of friends of mine always took turns hosting.  I haven't been to one since surgery four months ago.  One of my friends is hosting one the first weekend in August, is it too soon to enjoy my wine and cheese night? I'll be almost five months out by then. And usually there are other things to eat also like, prosciutto, hard salami, fruit, etc. I know to stay away from the bread, and sugary desserts, but would the wine and other protein items be ok?
~ Elena.

cattywompos
on 7/19/11 12:53 am

You know the cheese and such is fine, jus****ch the wine :)

HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

julyxo84
on 7/19/11 12:56 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 Sounds fine to me, don't go crazy with the wine.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

laurenskapolska
on 7/19/11 1:11 am - Windsor Locks, CT
Agree.  Easy on the wine.  Alcohol always makes me want to eat more!   Sounds like a fun time.  Go for it!
(deactivated member)
on 7/19/11 1:20 am
Now that I am in maintenance, I would have a glass or even two of wine and some cheese.  When I was in the losing phase, I would not have had the wine and I would have taken a small plate and guesstimated two or maybe three oz. of cheese and had that.  I would not have allowed myself to graze on the cheese for hours.  That is what would have worked for me, but I am considered hard core. 
Jasonm11
on 7/19/11 2:00 am

I'd suggets two things. 1. Wine effects me in smaller quantities now.  It doesn't take much at all to get me a lil bit tipsy.  2.  Like is being said, while losing it isn't a good way to shed the pounds.

That being said, I have on two occasions since surgery, including last night, had about 5 glasses of wine in the course of about 2 hours.  Nothing negative that doesn't generally come with 5 glasses of wine except that I got drunker quicker.  In no way do I endorse it, especially if it were to become a habit.  But yea....thats my experience...yours may differ so use caution...

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Elena22
on 7/19/11 2:16 am
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to plan to go, and go very easy on the wine, and get one small plate and nibble from that and not graze on anything for the evening.  I think I can do it!
~ Elena.

theshrinkingmimi
on 7/19/11 3:29 am
Well, you probably are already eating cheese. But I've been eating reduced fat cheese. Keep in mind that when eating something high in fat for the first time post-op, it could make you feel nausiated.  My doc already told me that I can have alcohol and I'm less than 2 months. I haven't had it yet. I may have a drink for my birthday on the 29th- maybe not.

I think you should go and enjoy your friends. It's a great ritual. You could also drop off some reduced fat cubes of cheese early if you are really concerned. People can be distracting when eating so be careful of the amount and speed of your intake. (for me- phone calls)
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views