strictures/ EGD

skinimini
on 7/24/11 3:40 am

First let me say, I did do a search at the top of the page for strictures, but I did not find what I was looking for.

I feel like I  may be developing a stricture.  I am having very bad pain with drinking and eating.  No vomiting, but dry heaves and very nauseous.  I know they do an EGD and dilate your esophogus if necessary. 

I know this seems crazy, after just having most of my stomach removed, but I was wondering if any of you have had the EGD and what it is like.  The thought of them shoving something down my throat is causing me some anxiety!!

Just curioius what the process was like.  Do they sedate you??

I am not even sure this is what is going on, but I will be calling the dr. tomorrow, and just wanted to know what to expect, if that is what they suggest.

I know....I know....I'm a wuss!

I am 5' 7" tall and 35-years-old   **Sheri**
My ticker shows who I did this for:  Azure and Malachi

July 10th, 2011:  Down 26 lbs. and 15 1/4 ".

Aug. 10th, 2011: Down 14 lbs. and 13 3/4 ".

Sept. 10th, 2011:

Oct. 10th, 2011:

Brittany E.
on 7/24/11 3:44 am - Norman, OK
They do sedate you and it took mine about 15 minutes. Super easy stuff compared to the actual surgery
HW: 325-SW weight: 305     
(deactivated member)
on 7/24/11 3:47 am
I was super nervous for my EGD but when they gave me my shot to knock me out I didn't have a care in the world... Its not that bad... You will be just fine doll...
MrsHelm1012
on 7/24/11 4:08 am - Washingtonville, PA

My Husband is a Medical Assistant in the Endoscopy Clinic at our local hospital where I had my surgery done (I have a possible stricture and might need an EGD, so I understand the anxiety). So I asked him about this, cause I know he has told me about doing them. He said that it is one of the most simple procedures that they perform. Everyone gets an IV and gets sedated... Where my Husband works, you can choose between Conscious Sedation and Anesthesia. Pick the Anesthesia. Aske if it isnt offered. A lot of people pick the Conscious Sedation because they think its easier to wake up from, but thats just not true. And with the Conscious Sedation, you might still be able to hear whats going on, although my Hubby said that you wont actually be able to feel anything.. No pain. With the Anesthesia, you are totally asleep. The procedure takes 10-15 minutes. They will put a camera down your throat to look, if they find a stricture, they will put a balloon down your throat that they will inflate at the stricture to widen the area. No biggie.

Carmelita
on 7/24/11 4:10 am, edited 7/24/11 4:12 am - Four Corners, NM

Ive had an EGD post VSG following a gallbladder attack..I thought I had an ulcer or gastroparesis with my hypochondrical butt... so demanded an EGD. ...cuz that's where the pain was! At the sternum ...no ulcer , no gastroparesis tho, pain from me gallbladder is all ....anyhoo they stick a long tube with a tiny light/camera down yer throat past yer pylorus towards yer duodenum. In stricture its relatively same procedure...except

FIGURE 1. the EGD in stricture arrow pointing to duodenal stricture in a NORMAL stomach... The EGD w/ baloon dilation mildly stretches or dilates the stricture/blockage open a bit more...so food stuff (chyme) flow more easily.

Of course yer sedated tho lol! Won't remember a thing! Maybe Fentanyl used I can't remember...lol
Our stomachs are so small...over quick! You can't drive home afterward either...liability reasons.

With yer symptoms...Its hard to say...check out for sure with yer doc...may be normal (at your stage)...eating/drinking too fast, texture , dehydration, probiotics lacking? I dunno.

IF these foamies are PERSISTENT, Nausea PERSISTENT, Vomiting PERSISTENT
RUN don't walk....to the nearest ER don't wait to call yer doc!
Asecondchanceatlife
on 7/24/11 5:20 am
I am  hoping things get better. Take care.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views