Please define "slider foods"

Poodles
on 7/23/11 1:50 pm - TX
I have never heard this term in regards to the sleeve.   When I was a bandster we had foods that would go thru the band easier than others and could then consume more of (milkshakes, cookies, soups, etc.). That would definitely slow weight loss.

As a DSer, I know that I can consume more water than I can food, but not much more. Then I wait a bit and drink some more.   If I drink a lot at a restaurant I won't be able to eat much.

But since a VSGer has a normal pylorus why would anything "slide"?
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

mysticblue
on 7/23/11 2:42 pm
It's basically the same thing as the Band. SLider foods are those that you can consume more of for whatever reason. Unlike the band though, my stomach will feel full on liquids and it lasts longer. It isn't just about waiting for the liquid to move from the pouch through the band. For me, the only two foods I have found that I call sliders are crab legs and popcorn. I love that I can eat a lot of crab legs because 1) they are healthy, 2) they aren't high in calories, and 3) they are very high in protein. I also kind of like that I can eat a lot of popcorn. It isn't something I have often but when I go to the movies I like that I can eat the popcorn without difficulty. My little indulgence.

I have found that we are all different though so you will find your own sliders. They will be different than those you had with the band though.

Lori H.

wert
on 7/23/11 2:49 pm - MN
My list would start with

Chips
Chips and dip
Sugary cereal
Toast with butter and home made jam
Ice cream

My definition of a slider food would be anything I could eat and not even think about it. I'd mindlessly eat and eat and eat until it's all gone. I don't think it would slide anywhere except down my throat.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

msroro
on 7/23/11 2:57 pm - Richmond, VA
 I have a lot of sliders too many i want to say but i can get full from them it just takes longer

chips
popcorn
crackers
candy like gummies and soft cnadies u can chew

to cut down on my slider binges i drink a lot of liquid during the binge...i get full after only a few and i cant even look at them anymore lol

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/23/11 10:30 pm
Well, I'm no expert and I'm too early out to know what my own sliders are going to be, but here's how it was described to me.

A slider food is typically something that contains little or no protein, but lots of white refined carbs.  The white refined carbs by nature are very broken down already.  The stomach's job is to break down food particles to a fine enough texture for the intestines to absorb the nutrients in them.  Because the white refined carbs are very broken down already, all the stomach needs to do is use it's acid juices to break up the pieces (which happens quickly) and then send it onto the intestines.  So it slides right on through the pyloric valve shortly after consumption.  In people with normal stomachs, this may be happening as well but they can't feel it because their stomach isn't at capacity hardly ever... so it feels no different to them.  Or because the capacity isn't callenged until they've eaten A LOT (60 ounces is my ballpark figure for a normal stomach vs our 2-8 oz stomachs), the stomach just holds it longer.

Protein, unless it's in a really broken down form (protein powders mixed with water or milk), stays in the stomach longer.  Less so with pureed because it's already somewhat broken down, but the stomach still does a bunch of mashing & processing of the particles so the intentines can absorb well.

Hope this helps... again, second hand info, not my own knowledge.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Carmelita
on 7/23/11 11:41 pm - Four Corners, NM
The word "slider"  comes from back in the day..white castle's SLYDER burgers ...itty bitty burgers ...had to eat quite a few to make people full...those tiny burgers sure have made a comeback as a party food...saw them in the frozen food section at a local grocers recently!

ANY FOOD can be made a "slider" food, given enough creams, sauces, liquids etc.

A slider is MOST OFTEN characterized by non-nutritious, high calorie, high carbohydrate=sugar/starch  foods ...can eat alot to make ya full...i.e. chips, popcorn, trail mix, cookies, refrined cereals/grains etc. 

Digestion time of majority of simple carbohydrates is less than 30, 15 minutes usually. Complex carbs..30-45min, with exclusion of soybeans ~2hrs.  Proteins ~2-4 hours, Fats longest to digest ~5 hours before that pylorus (very ph sensitive!)  will open up. The pylorus will remain slightly open for liquids. Normal stomachs less than 5 minutes.  In our VSG stomachs less than 1 minute transit time.This VSG video on transit time in liquids (barium) is neat to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0GWL1Wtx30

Major sliders for ME...inc. popcorn, trail mix, hot chicarrones, veggies in cheese sauce, creamed spinach, cheesy rice, and some seafoods like sushi, shrimp, mussels and oysters (shooters egads!)
Poodles
on 7/24/11 11:49 am - TX
Ok, so basically "slider food" is air filled crap that you can eat mass quantities of and not really get full.   Kind of like smashing a bag of chips.  It is a family size bag until you smu**** and the crumbs fit into a single size bag afterwards.

I understand.  

Thank you! 
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Most Active