Prior to surgery

Becca20015
on 7/29/11 6:06 am
Did you ever think (or do you think, for those who are still waiting) about failing or not being able to loose weight after WLS?  I know I may sound crazy but I am nearing the end of my PCP visits and every now and then I wonder about this.  All other attempts have proven fail.  Just wondering how many others felt or feel like this. Thanks
carrierae
on 7/29/11 6:44 am - WA
I think we all feel this way. We have been so trained from past failures that we all think of ourselves as failures. Then it seems once you get on the losers bench you not only lose weight but you also gain confidence. That may be the best gift of all.

Carrie   HW: 334/Preop Appt W: 328/SW: 313/CW: 2  
preop: -21lbs, month 1: -28lbs, month 2: -16lbs, month 3: -18lbs, month 4: -11lbs,
month 5: -11lbs, month 6: -7lbs, ...all the way down. NOTE: after slacking I got back on track in Nov (month 12) and have lost 16lbs so far!

Audra L.
on 7/29/11 6:57 am - WA
VSG on 08/05/11 with
Hi Becca,

I'm a week away from my surgery and I have fears not so much of not being able to lose the weight, but of not being able to keep it off.  About 8 years ago, I lost 50 lbs. doing the Weigh Down diet (a Christian-based diet whose key philosophy is to only eat when you're hungry and stop when your full).  I've since gained it all back and then some!  What made me gain all the weight back was not following those rules (which I think will be easier to follow with my new tool) and becoming much more sedentary (my husband and I love to sit and watch TV all night--something we realize we must change). 

But still, I hear so many stories of people who lose tons of weight with WLS and then go right ahead and gain it all back.  I'm sure they don't want to, but it just "happens."  I was just reading "Before and After" by Leach and at one point she was saying that she lost the friendship of a fellow bypass friend because that friend couldn't keep the weight off.  She kept pushing the boundaries, etc. and because she started gaining weight back, she felt guilt being with Leach who was successful.  She couldn't face that reminder, so she stopped keeping in touch  Sad.

So, yes, I certainly have the fear of gaining weight back and/or not even reaching my goal weight.  LOL: My ideal goal weight is 150, but I have no confidence in that, so my personal goal is 160.. when really, 140 would probably be optimal.  Not sure that that's the right way of going about things, but as I am at the beginning of my journey here, I'd be happy to be below 200 (where I was after losing said 50 lbs) again.  Heck, right now I'd be happy to be under 250 again, lol. It's all perspective, I guess.

Hang in there! And think positively.  I'm just starting my pre-op liquid diet (yuck!)... but I'm thinking, "I CAN DO THIS!"  So far, so good (granted, it's only been a few hours.. ask me again on Sunday, lol).  And I try to remind myself of the things I will be able to do again when I lose the weight.  That's a great motivator.

Best of luck to you!
(Actually, it's not really luck, but you know what I mean.)
CoolBeans
on 7/29/11 8:41 am - MD
 I know this is one of my fears. So many failed diets in the past. So many times when I have lost weight and had all those wonderful complements from people about my progress only to ultimately fail again. I think that is my biggest worry. I am not afraid of not losing. I am afraid of not losing enough or gaining weight back again. But I like what the previous poster said about the gift of confidence. Some of what this tool offers I think is the "feeling" of success (as well as actuall successes along the way.  

I heard stories about how many have failed. My surgeon told me those with a BMI over 50 are statistically less successful. But he also told me that young, educated, women who are motivated seem to break that rule more often. 

While I didn't like hearing all of that, I did focus on the word motivated. I think we are all motivated. All those goals we set for ourselves are key to this. But we have to "keep" motivated. By keeping them in mind and looking for support to keep us on track. I am feeling pretty optimistic at this point. Nervous, but optimistic in a way I haven't been in a long time. 
 Cari    
kaydemo
on 7/29/11 9:16 am - TX
My surgery is on Monday, and I've been feeling good about squelching all the inner doubts we likely ALL have before surgery.  But on Sunday at church, my MIL said "I know you're all excited about WLS and all, but I've heard that people can just turn around and gain back all their weight....."  I seriously spent the next half hour thinking "She's right!  I could do all of this for nothing!"  But she's been super obese for decades and has applied for WLS surgery twice, only to be denied by her insurance company.  She started a new diet about 6 months ago and has lost about 60 pounds.  She wanted me to consider doing that to lose weight before I went through with WLS.  Later, I realized that she, too, can gain all of her weight back, as she's done many times before. (Just as I have!)  We can all regain, but there seems to be something about getting to the weight you can be comfortable with, and working within a 5-10 lb window, or whatever works best, and keeping it in check.  I would think it's a little easier to manage that pound spread  that it is to handle 120 pounds!! That's not based on personal experience, but the testimony of so many on this forum that have had some measure of success!  I hope we're both pleasantly surprised, and blow this thing out of the water!!  Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views