NEWBIES: Questions answered and hopefully some help

Lisa J.
on 8/2/11 7:04 am - OK
Ah, I'm such an old timer, at only 2 years out! No, I won't pretend to know everything, but knowing there are new people everyday finding out about this surgery, this website, and not quite knowing there are already literally volumes of pages on the topic, I'll just add another one! It will disappear before we know it! Bear with me, and/or add to it if you'd like.

1) VSG is an absolutely kick-ass surgery!! I found EXACTLY what I wanted for myself: RESTRICTION of stomach without food restrictions! To each her own, but for me, this was hands-down the best and only choice for me
           a) no malabsorbtion issues (malnutrition)
           b) ability to take NSAIDS and other meds
           c) fewer surgical, recovery, and lifetime complications
           d) lower surgical risk
           e) less risk of  a surgery I felt I could "eat around"
           f) cheaper. I was cash pay.

2) I don't know if I'm lucky or determined or just plain positive, but I had no complications whatsoever. Probably a little of all of the above. I also don’t have anxiety about doctors or hospitals. I had surgery on a Weds morning, went home at 1pm next day, went back to work Monday. I could not have been more eager for this surgery.

3) I told everyone about my surgery!  It's a personal issue but since I couldn't keep a secret to save my life I became the local poster child for WLS, specifically VSG. A gal in our office was under the impression that I spent $25k and when I told her it was less than half that, and explained again what I had she immediately started her process. She has lost more than 125lbs since January!! WOO HOO. My hairdresser is the next on the bandwagon! Helping one person is so worthwhile!

4)  You will feel full. Oh yes, oh my yes. If you don't stop eating especially in the early days after surgery, if you don't stop eating, you will PUKE. Simple as that. And it happens FAST. If you can't move fast enough to get your ass to the bathroom you will be wearing it. When you start to sneeze, hiccup and/or get a runny nose (or all of the above) you'd best put down that fork!! I ain't kiddin!

5) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get as much counseling and pre/post op support group meetings that you can possibly schedule!! I cannot stress this enough. 
   A) the BEST source for the truth
   B) no secrets, it's all talked about here (if you want to, or just listen)
   C) no shame, no dumb questions, completely unadulterated answers, no *****footing

6) The surgery will work if YOU work. But even so, you can and will absolutely lose weight no matter what the first 6 months. And each and every time (if it happens) that you think you're going to ruin everything you've worked for, for an onion ring or a bite of cheesecake, relax!! Eat it, take a breath and sit back and think "Was it really that good before?" It probably wasn't.

7) Take the time to really get to know yourself and your bad eating habits preop because they are going to be in your face as soon as you have surgery! We all eat because of some unresolved issue. Obviously there are some people with genetics that play heavily, and quite a lot of people in this world could lose significant weight with some minor lifestyle change. For me, this was a gateway to a world where I would see results quickly enough that I would be motivated! I still don't think "diets" work. Lifestyle changes work, but let's face it, there simply isn't time in the day to do all the things we want/have to get accomplished. The easiest thing in the world to do is eat bad stuff, it's cheap and plentiful. And dammit it tastes good! (Ever notice why a whole lot of people in the lower economic class are considerably more overweight as a whole? Often in entire families? In my opinion it's because of rice and pasta and bread. So shoot me.) Some people's metabolisms never change and they deserve to be 400 lbs. I know you know the type.

8) Be prepared, if you have never been thin, to get attention! For some women especially, it's horrifying and scary. This is where the new you can come out. Some fat women have given in to being a doormat because they never felt they deserved better, and "Nobody wants me anyway". Well, if you hang around this board long enough you will see that thinner people get treated differently, they stand up for what's right. I know, I know, it's better to be a ***** than a fat *****! ;-)

9) Your tastebuds might change after surgery. Nobody is sure why this is, but it might be because you've made huge changes to your lifestyle and food choices. Some people dislike foods they once loved, or textures or combinations. Don't be surprised.  We're going to eat to live now, instead of live to eat.

10) Enjoy the honeymoon period! Keep doing what you know works. Don't worry about that three or six month stall stage. Everyone has them. You can try and shake up your routine and see if that works for you. Some people swear by it, but a stall is a stall is a stall. During that time that the needle on the scale doesn't move, your body is shifting somewhere. Get used to it. When you experience the joy of shopping and buying new clothes (and shoes: your feet will lose 1/2 to 1 size too) so don't get too caught u in what will fit TODAY because next week it won't!! I bought clothes I liked that were 2 sizes smaller every couple weeks and it worked out pretty well--only had one pair of jeans that I missed being able to wear completely! Big deal, huh???

Thanks for letting me rattle and roll while getting back on my own bandwagon!!
Cheers!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
armywife101
on 8/2/11 7:18 am - SC
Thanks so much Lisa!
Everchanging
on 8/2/11 7:34 am - NY
VSG on 03/13/12
Thank you so much lisa these tips as awesome,I'm a newbie sorta of,I've been researching for ever an i'm finally ready be on the loser bench and these tips are awesome.
Dawnie 88
on 8/2/11 7:40 am
Great Post!!  This will be useful information for many preops on this board.  So nice of you to take the time to post.

Can I ask what your restriction is now?  I am 15 mths postop..just curious what i can expect in another year (i know everyone is different).

Lisa J.
on 8/2/11 7:56 am - OK
Actually I have no idea what my restriction is-- never done the pouch test. But let's see, probably a couple oz of chicken or steak with a few bites of a good veggie. Sometimes I can eat a 1/2 a sandwich (whole wheat bread toasted, turkey slices, tomato, lettuce) in about 20 mins, and feel quite full. I never eat fries. I have never weighed or measured my food, I know I'm bad, but I always seemed to do pretty well without that. I can eyeball stuff pretty well, although every now and then my eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach!! LOL. 

I had a banana about a week ago, and it was the smallest one I could find--probably about 6" long and it was very filling. I don't often eat bananas (though they used to be my fruit of choice but now too carby--my Dr calls them "the cheesecake of fruit) and instead do a half apple or pear which has more fiber.

Oh here's one more thing I forgot to add:
About your bowel movements:  I Know, TMI, right?LOL But it has to be said!
Immediately after your surgery for a couple days you'll have really runny small poops, that are disgustingly colored, and then all you're probably going to have there rest of your life after surgery is small clumps. You might have to do Metamucil a couple times, but you'll never ever have the same poop as before surgery. Get to know your rabbit pellets. They will tell you if you need more fiber or water. Water is always necessary. If you think you need to drink more, you probably do.

On the gastric bypass board there is one guy who signs his signature with "
Never trust a fart" and I have found this to be true!!

G'day ladies!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Dawnie 88
on 8/2/11 9:23 am
ok..since you started the topic of poops..lol..I gotta add that mine are completely like they were before surgery..no changes..no rabbit pellets..lol  I had my first bowel movement 6 days after surgery..a few loose stools..then back to normal.  I've never had an issue with diarhhea (i know i spelled that wrong)..lol

I've never done a 'pouch test' either..and never plan on it.  By restriction i had just meant to ask how much can you eat at a meal now.  I don't measure every meal..but i have measured to see how much i am eating.  I am 15 mths postop..and i can eat only 2 - 2.5 oz of dense protein at meal time..and that would be it..nothing else.  One scrambled egg is a meal.  1/2 cup of cottage cheese is a meal..etc..

Thanks for sharing your info!!

Ashleyxx
on 8/2/11 7:43 am - Detroit, MI
Thanks for posting this!
skinimini
on 8/2/11 8:51 am
Excellent post!

I am 5' 7" tall and 35-years-old   **Sheri**
My ticker shows who I did this for:  Azure and Malachi

July 10th, 2011:  Down 26 lbs. and 15 1/4 ".

Aug. 10th, 2011: Down 14 lbs. and 13 3/4 ".

Sept. 10th, 2011:

Oct. 10th, 2011:

ijustwantmylifeback
on 8/2/11 9:37 am

Thank you so much for posting this!!!  I'm a newbie and the boards are definitely a bit overwhelming.  Now that I've decided on the VSG I'm just spending as much time here as I can, hahaha.

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 9:56 am
Thank you so much for this post!
Most Active