Pop-Pop on Sharing our Common Journey

johnbertak
on 8/6/11 2:36 am - MD
I know we're all different in terms of relationships and how much of our lives we want to share with the world - however - if you're on this forum then you are "one of us," that is, someone who has or is considering WLS (VSG specifically), so we all share that resolve.  I urge "newbies" or those who are considering WLS to share their experience with the world - create a support system that can share your victories and provide extra incentive for you as well.  My neighbors, golf buddies, and most importantly, my family, have helped me do this and we all are benefiting from it.
See, I'm a huge advocate for bringing WLS out of the darkness - every day people are dieing from obesity-related problems, heart disease, diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure...the list goes on and on. 
Well, I HAD ALL OF THOSE co-morbidity's less than a year ago.  My WLS surgery not only has made it possible for me to lose a ton of weight - it has helped me get rid of all those other problems.  I no longer take insulin shots or ANY Rx drugs of any kind.  My only non-vitamin pill these days is a single low-dose aspirin daily, per my cardiologist.  
"Easy" or "Lazy"?  Are you kidding.  I told everyone who loves me about my decision to have surgery because I valued their opinions pre-op, and I wanted them on my support-team post-op.  They all know that it is not easy or lazy - they see the weight coming off, but they also see me - now walking 5 miles daily in my hilly neighborhood or, like today, walking 7+ miles on the golf course. 
I'VE LOST NEARLY 160 LBS. IN LESS THAN 9 MOS. POST-OP and I've worked exceedingly hard to do it.  Yes, sleevie is a major asset in this campaign, but so is perseverance and discipline, determination AND SUPPORT. 
The more we openly share our stories, the more truth about WLS gets out in the world, the greater the opportunity for more lives to be improved and or saved.  At least that's what this 65-year-old loser believes.  Your thoughts on this?
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

Dawnie 88
on 8/6/11 2:44 am
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said above.  I had lost 132 lbs by 9 mths..and it took alot of work and discipline to do it.  I tell everyone about my journey..hoping to help inspire others.  Thanks for posting!

MyOwnSunshine
on 8/6/11 2:47 am
I appreciate this post because I really struggle with the decision of what/who/when to share about my decision to have WLS.  I'm a nurse and supervise a large department in a large hospital, yet I'm very hesitant to share my decision with my co-workers.  I'm not really sure why that is. 

This post is definitely food for thought.  I know that many people that I work with truly like and respect me, so maybe I do need to share my journey with as many people as possible in order to help remove the stigma of WLS. 

I find it very interesting and disconcerting that health care professionals -- specifically doctors and nurses -- are some of the most biased and judgmental about WLS.  A girl in our department just had lap band surgery and I definitely noticed the eye-rolls and condescension when they were discussing her surgery without her being there, although no one actually came out and derided it in an open way.

I think that I've just wanted to avoid the whole discussion and fear of judgment prior to surgery because the process is hard enough, but maybe I need to re-think this and put myself out there for the greater good.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
theshrinkingmimi
on 8/6/11 8:08 am

Follow your instincts. You are hesitant for a reason. Your body. Your decision.  I don't care what anyone says, I'm NOT telling people at my job. Period.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Lisa D.
on 8/6/11 10:59 am - New Orleans, LA
I am right there with you John!!  I had WLS and I am proud of it.  I tell everyone and I have my surgeon's card for those that want more information.  I tell them about this site, too.  I never miss an opportunity to dispel the myths and predjudices about WLS or help someone who asks for information for themselves or a loved one.  Advocating and rejuvenating!
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

Most Active