Food Envy

bc32084
on 8/8/11 4:43 am - VA
i am having trouble wrapping my head around eating less food and having healthier eating habits.  i am happy i had the sleeve.  i want to live healthier and look better.  being overweight had taken such a toll on my self esteem/image

however, i find myself being envious of people who can eat whatever they want and how much they want.  there is an overweight woman who works out front  in my PCP's office and she had Mickey D's and I was jealous!!!  i can remember a time when i was envious of skinny people.  now i am jealous of overweight people as well????   i don't want to be or stay large by any stretch of the imagination, but being able to eat everything in sight one day and then being able to eat 2oz of food the next is hard.  portion control was my biggest problem and i stopped eating for only nourishment years ago.  it was always for joy, sadness, celebration, or just because it looked or smelled good.

i still have cravings for "bad" foods at times.  but i find myself getting aggravated that i can't eat more food in general.

injeneral
on 8/8/11 4:49 am
"being able to" is the operative phrase, I think. We can all "do whatever we want" whenever we want, but we don't because there are consequences. Your co-worker is "able to" eat McD's food but the consequences for her making that choice is her being overweight and unhealthy. If you're having food envy, perhaps it's time to 1. figure out why you're angry (therapy?) and 2. re-create healthier options that will leave you feeling satisfied. You can make small turkey (or even lean beef) sliders that will taste sooo much better than McD's! Dice up some onion, mix some ff mayo (or plain yogurt) with ketchup, add in some relish and shredded lettuce and BAM - a healthier version of a big mac. And I bet it will taste way better and it won't give you diarrhea like the big mac invariably will. ;)
Jenijeni
on 8/8/11 4:55 am
Keep reminding yourself of why you had this surgery. To get thin? To get healthy? Probably both! As long as the obese woman at your PCP's office continues to chow on McDonald's, she's going to remain obese. Pity her! Don't mourn the loss of the ability to gorge yourself, celebrate each day you don't! Congratulations on your weight loss so far! Keep up the good work and try, try, try to keep your head in the game. If you KNOW that having double cheeseburger will keep you fat, then do you REALLY still want it? Don't know if it helps any, but I don't have any head hunger anymore... I don't get jealous when others are eating fast food and frankly, I don't even want fast food! It feels so good to be HEALTHY again! Have been thinking of going vegetarian again, too!

You can do this!
Jen

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

bc32084
on 8/8/11 5:25 am - VA
i will try and remind myself why i had the surgery when these feelings come on me.  my weapon of choice at micky d's was the angus and logically i know i don't really want it, but i am so used to doing it (eating for no reason).  perhaps its stress in my life that has me weak where my diet is concerned today.  i have been pretty vigilant in keeping with what my nut says to do and not do.  today, i just had the horrible feeling that the sleeve had robbed me of something.  but i know that what it actually robbed me of was a life of obesity, unhealthy habits, and poor self-image.  i just have to keep reminding myself of that...thanks for the post!!
kimbethin
on 8/8/11 5:44 am - CA
So far my sleeve has robbed meof about 30 pounds!  Thanks sleeve!  It is hard to adjust, but some times I have to do it a few hours at a time or even a few minutes at a time.  Making tasty food in a healthier way makes it easier for me too.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
frisco
on 8/8/11 5:58 am

Just bear down and lose the weight........

Most of us are the same..... we didn't get MO and SMO because we to many Tic Tacs..........

I guaranty you when you lose the weight.......food quantity means nothing.....food quality is what it's all about......

When your wearing normal size clothes......it's a "High" that cancels out the need for big plate eating !!!

"Thin Feels Better Than Food Tastes !!!"

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

bc32084
on 8/8/11 7:40 am - VA
When your wearing normal size clothes......it's a "High" that cancels out the need for big plate eating !!!

"Thin Feels Better Than Food Tastes !!!"

AMEN TO THAT!!!!
B. Bap
on 8/8/11 5:59 am
Thank you for posting...
I am still pre-op but I constantly find myself thinking about the foods that I am going to miss or how will I enjoy food now that I can not eat it endlessly.  I am sorry that you are having these feelings, but for a pre-op person it good to know that thoughts and feelings towards food are not removed once part of your stomach is gone.  This lets me know know that I have to start removing my emotional attachments to food even before going into surgery.
Thanks again.
Sunny702
on 8/8/11 2:22 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Great post ... I believe that I will probably feel the same way so I need to get a jump start on how I'm going to battle it.
Marcia B.
on 8/8/11 4:03 pm - CA
you are not alone... I am the same way.  I have a therapist that is really helping me because it really isn't about the food. :) you have to find out what it is really about.  Good luck to you.
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views