Active Duty having surgery??

devshan
on 8/9/11 6:26 am - El Paso, TX
I know this is a long shot but I'm gonna ask.  If any of you know of anyone who has had WLS while on Active Duty through Tricare please PM me.  My friend has been given a referral and letter of medical necessity from her MILITARY doctor but I have no idea what to  expect next.  I know the regs and all that but I also know that with the military there are always loopsholes and waivers.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

canonico
on 8/9/11 6:50 am - WA
 Active Duty in the past were able to get weight loss surgery. (this was years ago) Not anymore. So there might be a few who are still in the military who have had it. But if you have it now you have to get out of the military in order for tricare to pay for it.  If it is medically neccessary other than weight issues than they would probablly be med boarded out then they could get it done. 
I know when I was going threw the pathway at Madgian there was an active duty going threw the program however he was planning it so the week he got out he was going to have surgery.

P_B
on 8/9/11 7:12 am - Norfolk, VA
On August 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM Pacific Time, canonico wrote:
 Active Duty in the past were able to get weight loss surgery. (this was years ago) Not anymore. So there might be a few who are still in the military who have had it. But if you have it now you have to get out of the military in order for tricare to pay for it.  If it is medically neccessary other than weight issues than they would probablly be med boarded out then they could get it done. 
I know when I was going threw the pathway at Madgian there was an active duty going threw the program however he was planning it so the week he got out he was going to have surgery.
^^^^ what she said is correct they did away with it also because deployed active duty will not always be able to get their protein vits...ect in correctly. Even now kore than ever. Could yu imagine trying to get a protein shake in a tent camp in afghan? Lol

PaulaS
on 8/9/11 9:12 am - TX
When I attended the seminar at Lackland AFB they said the same thing - WLS was not available for active duty personnel.    Only available for dependents, retirees and retiree dependents.  
One more thing, VSG is currently available only at MTF whereas bypass and lapband are available thru Tricare on the outside.  

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Most Active