Insomnia 2 months post op

Susan0714
on 8/14/11 8:52 pm - Kenner, LA
I have been waking up at 4:30am every morning for at least 2 weeks or so now, and it is driving me crazy. It does not matter what time I go to sleep.

I am worried about it, because when I start back to school next week, I can't be tired in the middle of a class.  I find that I get tired around 2pm or so, but if I nap it is only for about 30 minutes.

I don't use a CPAP anymore, and I am not on any sleeping medications. 

This morning I was up at 2:30 then was able to go back to sleep. The up and then back to sleep is hard for me, because my husband is a very light sleeper and it affects his sleep.

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

infodiva808
on 8/14/11 9:05 pm
 Certain you don't need the CPAP any longer? Or maybe peri-menopause setting in? Can't tell what age you are but symptoms can start around age 40. You could try some melatonin a half hour b4 bed. Just a stab in the dark from me. LOL

Susan0714
on 8/14/11 9:30 pm - Kenner, LA
Thank you for your stab. LOL.. I am going to put on my CPAP tonight and see how that works. I have an appt. with sleep doctor but not until next month. 

Thank you

Susan

Smardeepants
on 8/15/11 1:50 am
I agree to try the cpap again (just because you're not snoring doesn't mean you don't still have sleep apnea!) There was a post on here with that same issue not long ago.

Melatonin works wonders, you might try that, too.

Also, do you take any thyroid medications? I take armour thyroid, and my endocrinologist told me it was weight-based. Meaning, the smaller I get, the less I'll need. Hyperthyroid (overactive)... with a LOW TSH can affect sleep,.... not able to get to sleep at night, waking up early, etc.

Hope it gets resolved soon! 

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 1:56 am, edited 8/15/11 1:56 am
I feel for you! I get insomnia periodically.. likely hormones at 38, and it seems to happen at a specific time each month.. start tracking it on an online calendar and see if it has a pattern, it can be useful with figuring out when you may need something to help. I also have blackout curtains in the bedroom and keep it very cool. A warm shower right before bed can also help get your body into a better sleep mode believe it or not. I cannot nap, it messes up my cycles too much and keeps me from sleeping well.

Edit- Oh, forgot one thing, cover your clock and DO NOT check it when you wake in the middle of the night.. I had to break this habit, but it helped. Something about the frustration of seeing that it was XX time again, kept me awake. 
Susan0714
on 8/15/11 10:57 am - Kenner, LA
Thanks Jo about the covering the clock idea. I will try that tonight.  I will also try that warm shower before bed. When I take showers before bed, they will sometimes keep me up.

I am going to try my CPAP machine again as well and see what happens tomorrow morning. Since I don't have one of those CPAP pillows I have a hard time at times, sleeping with the machine when the cables won't let me lay comfortably.

If that does not work I will call my doctor in the morning.

Thank you ALL for your responses, they were ALL greatly apprecitated.

Susan

nutbar21
on 8/15/11 3:15 am - CA
Same has been happening to me!!!  Staying up way late, and waking up super early.  I just thought it was because I was getting better sleep.  I go to the doctor tomorrow, I am gonna ask about the thyroid thing.  I think I am overmedicated, been feeling tingly....

smiles24
on 8/15/11 5:53 am - MI
I'm not big into taking medications, so I try to stick with vitamins, herbs, etc.  I've found the best thing for insomnia is taking 2 Valerian Root.  It doesn't make you groggy in the morning .. just a nice restful sleep.  They are capsules so you can open them up and put them in some water about 10 minutes before bed.   Good luck!
Sheryl
HW:  273   SW: 238   CW:  164  GW:  150  

Most Active