Can you get cramps in your legs just from having surgery?

3sweetpeas
on 8/16/11 7:45 am, edited 8/16/11 7:50 am - Tehachapi, CA
... And NOT have it be related to blood clots? <br /><br />
<br /><br />
For the past 3 days I've had these dull cramps in my legs that usually start in the afternoon... In the morning they don't ache. I would assume these are NOT blood clot aches? Since they sorta come and go. <br /><br />
<br /><br />
I called my surgeons office and they said I can come in, but I don't have anyone here to take me right now. He asked if I was getting enough to drink and I'm getting about 48oz and 20g of protein.. I'm only 6 days out and I'm trying my best.<br /><br />
<br /> he did say I could be achy, but if I worry I should go in.. But I just want to know if any other sleevers have experienced this?<br />
Other than the dull legs aches, I'm feeling GREAT! I've been able to sleep on my side again, have very, very little incision pain, my large incision itches like crazy though, lol.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
So yeah, I'm just wondering if you can just feel generally achy like this after surgery without being doomed to have a clot? I do have a follow up on Friday with my surgeon.
Tamara
Highest BMI & Weight during VSG journey -- 44.5 / 259
Current BMI & Weight -- 37.8 / 220

3sweetpeas
on 8/16/11 7:49 am - Tehachapi, CA
Not sure why my post has weird HTML in it.. Sorry...
Tamara

betti
on 8/16/11 7:50 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
If it is in both legs I would be less suspicious of DVT, but that by no means rules it out.  Neither does the fact that it is intermittent.  You need to be assessed by your surgeon.  Find a ride.  Hopefully/probably not a clot, but don't mess around with it.  I'm a RN and this is what I would advise my own family.  It probably isn't a clot, but better to be safe than sorry.

3sweetpeas
on 8/16/11 7:51 am - Tehachapi, CA
Thanks! My hubby is home with me for another week... But he left today to buy a car and is 4 hours away.. Of course, lol.
Tamara

colelea613
on 8/16/11 8:09 am - LA
So I thought it was just cramping and soreness from using my legs more to get out of a chair than my stomach muscles.  But we know how that turned out.  I have a history of blood clots...so wasn't a hard for me to believe that I have a clot.

Look for weird bumps in you legs that are red and warm/hot.  If your legs fall "asleep" you need to be worried.  If your legs are swelling then be worried (my left calf lost an inch).   All it takes to find or not find a clot is a simple ultra sound of your legs.  It took less than 20 minutes to find the clot.

I lived thru a clot hitting my lungs. Most people don't.  Don't risk it.  Go to your PCP and ask for an ultra sound of your legs.  Better safe than sorry. 

My clot presented "abnormal"  my leg didn't swell.  The only thing that presented was a small "marble" sized red bump that was tender but not hot or warm.

Today I have been on the go and haven't gotten in my normal 60+ ounces of water and I can feel my muslces cramping. Drink and drink and drink!!!!

Take my advice go to the doctor.  End the worrying and get an answer.

Cole

Hislady
on 8/16/11 8:13 am - Vancouver, WA
I too am a "clotter" and I gotta say each one felt different and I've had at least a half dozen. I really would get it checked out just to be sure, better safe than sorry.
lanunes
on 8/16/11 8:23 am - CA
 I had the same thing right after surgery and was worried like yourself. They would come and go and were very dull but there. I was told by my primary doctor that DVT is VERY painful and I would know it if I had it.  Of course I was still worried but they subsided. Good luck =) Oh....I think mine were gone by the 2 week or so =)
      Leslie Nunes              
beth D.
on 8/16/11 8:31 am - frisco, tx
Yes I used to get them all the time after surgery.  Upping my calcium and adding magnesium helped a lot.  Also make sure you are getting all your fluids in as best you can.  A quick fix is 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.  Taste awful but works immediantly.  Here is a good thread about leg cramps from March.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4358803/Ugh-Bad-leg-cr amps/
carrierae
on 8/16/11 8:43 am - WA
I get them when I change my diet. example...when I started low carb diet I got one in the middle of the night and it stayed cramped for 3 days. It is a lack of potassium.
Paige V.
on 8/16/11 10:08 am - Gainesville, FL
I would imagine that it is just a depletion of vitamins (mainly potassium)....but I would also advise heading into the doctors. Your health is nothing to risk!! 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views