HELP !!! HR wants a meeting about my leave of absence

Rekeca
on 8/17/11 1:23 am - NC

I reached out to HR about their protocol on requesting time off of work. I told her that I would need at least 3 weeks off to have surgery on Sept 14th. So she sent a meeting planner to discuss my request for a leave of absence.  I have never requested any type of leave so I am not sure what to expect. So I am a little nervous. Can they deny my leave? What exactly do they want to know. Any body who has any experience with this please chime in.....

MizzBombChelle
on 8/17/11 1:27 am - Silver Spring, MD
Congratulations Rekeca on the start of your journey.

Don't worry about the meeting.  You definitely don't have to tell them the exact surgery you are having.  They can't ask you legally anyway.  It's more than likely that they are just going to tell you company policy, how your benefits will work, what letters you need to come back.  Basic stuff.

Just a little hurdle to jump over to make it to the greatest finish line!

Chelle     Height: 5'7"     HW:  299.5 SW: 290.8 CW: 244.6 GW: 158.0      

DrHollywood
on 8/17/11 1:27 am - Harbor City, CA
I am not sure if you are open about your surgery...  but HR does not need to know why
you need these weeks off.  All you need to do is provide them a medical excuse in writing
from your doctor ( this is important)  They cannot do anything to you.  This is LAW!

Remember it is none of their business why.....  and you DONT need to explain yourself.
Give them the general copy from your doctor and the more detail note is for yourself if they
give you 2.  You have a right to your medical confidentiality and privacy.

You will be ok. Just go through the process.  Get the note from your doctor and fax it in.
That is weird they are asking for a meeting.  Just go with it.  Keep us posted!

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

Rekeca
on 8/17/11 2:13 am - NC
Thanks for the info guys. I just get so worked up over the smallest thing but the road to surgery has been bumpy so I get nervous about every little extra thing I have to go through. Its good to know that I don't have to divulge anything to them.

BriarRose
on 8/17/11 2:19 am
You do not have to tell them what your surgery is for. I asked my surgeon's office for a letter requesting 4 weeks off for surgery and post op recovery, to have the max ammt of time, if I wanted/needed it. They printed out my letter on letter head that had NO MENTION of bariatric surgery. It was on standard surgeon's letterhead with his practice being "general surgery" with specialization in laproscopic of a bunch of organs listed. The letter specified that the surgery was "medically necessary" and the course of normal recovery was expected to be 4 weeks.

The HR rep tried to ask me questions about it, I declined to answer most of them.

NO problems.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
tee4change
on 8/17/11 2:32 am - NY
I am not sure about your company protocal or policy on leaves, but  here's a story.
a friend of mine who had wls took a leave before surgery, like a few days before. After a while there was a debate of whether it would be paid by her insurance. She had to fight it and it got really scary. She later found out it would have been better to have the surgery and then put in for the leave. I plan on using sick time and if I need more time,I'll put in for a leave...just a thought.. check into it and see what the policy is.  
LaughingCow
on 8/17/11 2:40 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
There is a good chance that your leave will be covered under FMLA.  If that is the case, then your employer is permitted to require a certification form from your doctor and that will include a very general description of why the leave is needed - probably enough for them to realize that the leave is for bariatric surgery. 

Your HR Rep will tell you what paperwork is needed (including any forms that your company requires for its own records and any paperwork needed if FMLA applies).  They also will tell you how your short term disability benefits work, if there are any.  They may talk about sick leave.  If you have any issues with your health insurance and the surgery, that would be a good time to address them.  They also will tell you if you need any type of release to return to work after leave. 

Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
windyacres
on 8/17/11 3:06 am - Garner, NC
 I've filled out a BUNCH of FMLA forms (granted they were all for pregnancy/birth of a child) but I don't recall any questions that would specify which surgery.  They are all about work restrictions, expected return to work and so on.

If they do ask specifically, I would just say that it is your private medical information and you don't care to discuss it.

I HAVE had to give out a little more information (with the client's permission) if disability insurance was applied for.  

Edie
Approved 8-1-11, Surgery 8-22-11  SW 231, Goal 140, CW 165

Krazydoglady
on 8/17/11 3:25 am - FL
Just keep in mind if you go out under FMLA, try to take the time you need on continuous days  You will need doctors certification to be on leave and a release to go back to work.  If you have to go out on intermittent days, you need a doctors certification and release for EACH time out.  You can't get one certification to be in-and-out anymore.  The law changed several years back.   

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active