Discomfort in esophagus after eating?

C. Champion
on 8/24/11 3:45 am - Minneapolis, MN
I am 10 days post op and for the last 4 days or so I seem to be having an achy feeling right down the center of my breastbone after "eating" and I am wondering if anyone knows what this is? I am not sure if it is in my esophagus or what it doesnt hurt its just an achy feeling. I just started yogurt and full liquids yesterday so I was on clear liquids only before yesterday.
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 4:36 am
You are still very swollen, any time you eat anything not a liquid- it will feel kinda like a ball of cement making it's way down.. For now- make sure you are eating very tiny (like pencil eraser tiny) bites.. spaced out very well.. and keep the portions very small- I was able to only eat maybe an ounce (1/8th C) of cot cheese when I started mushies- and that took 30 mins..  Do not eat till full, especially this early out- you will make yourself very regretful if you do! 

The feeling passes in a week or so. It's normal.. and in a few more weeks, you will indeed start feeling more and more normal, it won't be like this forever. 
C. Champion
on 8/24/11 5:36 am - Minneapolis, MN
Ok I figured it was just from being swollen after surgery but I thought it was weird that it didnt start until about day 5. I have been feeling much better now that I have gotten to switch to full liquids and yogurt, cant wait for mushies thats not for 2 weeks! I wonder why all surgeons are all so different with their diet plan after surgery!
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 6:37 am
Are you on a PPI? If you aren't- ask your surgeon if it would be ok to start one.. that achy feeling may also be an excess of acid.. or just a signal that you've drank/eaten a bit too much or too fast. The first time I tried yogurt, I did have that ache at the base of my throat- just above my chest. I knew I had restriction then, as before the clear liquids would slide right through!~

Many surgeons stick us on a PPI for the first 3-6mo to aid healing. Just a heads up, if you are on one, or get onto one- you must wean off it. Don't stop cold as the rebound acid is terrible. 
C. Champion
on 8/24/11 11:30 am - Minneapolis, MN
Ya know it is so hard to figure out when im hungry when im full or when its just air bubbles. I get this gurgling and I feel like its empty but people say that is my body digesting. But b4 surgery when I got an empty gurgle feeling it was because I was hungry so I just have no clue right now. Yes I am on a PPI I take it every morning. So I never eat more than a quarter cup of anything at one time and usually dont fini**** just in case. I am still on full liquids like soup and stuff so I never have more than a quarter cup of soup or yogurt at one sitting. Now im trying to figure out what to mix my protein powder with so it doesnt taste chalky, cuz if I have one more chocolate protein shake im gunna hurl!!
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 11:45 am
Early out, I never had hunger.. at all. Now, I do occasionally.. I just had to get in the habit of eating on schedule. 

Here's a sample offering from Syntrax.. I found my fav protein powder from them.. I hate milky type ones, they usually are too sweet for me.. so, here you go- if you haven't tried these, please do- some are great, some ok, and some I just went blech, but drank them anyway!

This is from an email I got from them when I inquired..

We are currently offering a one time only, limit one per person special on theNectar ‘Variety Sampler’ containing 13 full serving packets of the following flavors:  Apple Ecstasy, Caribbean Cooler, Crystal Sky, Fuzzy Navel, Lemon Tea, Pink Grapefruit, Roadside Lemonade, Strawberry Kiwi, Twisted Cherry, Chocolate Truffle, Strawberry Mousse, Vanilla Bean Torte and Latte Cappuccino.  The price is $13.00.  The Nectar Variety Sampler receives FREE SHIPPING and orders typically arrive in 2-5 business days via UPS Ground.  If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please give us a call at 866-333-7403 x 801.  Our hours are Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm Central time.
C. Champion
on 8/24/11 3:00 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Yea I have a hard time with all the sweets because all I could have in the beginning it was nothing but chocolate protein shakes, juice, popsicles, all sugar free of course it was just to much, now that I am on full liquid and yogurt its a bit better except after the chedder broccoli soup I had today I am having heart burn for the first time and its no good at all! I dont think the broccoli is good yet even tho it is very tiny little specs of it.

Most Active