Has anyone heard about this???

Rekeca
on 8/30/11 8:54 am - NC
I went in for my pre-surgery consult and my surgeon asked me that since the vertical sleeve is so new they are trying to do research to see if the sleeve will eventually stretch out especially towards the bottom of the sleeve. He asked me if I would consider him placing a small band (Its very tiny he showed it to me) around the base of my sleeve which would eliminate the sleeve from eventually expanding over the years.  He stated that it is used on RNY patients currently and out of 2400 patients he has had issues with two of them one that started back smoking and got an ulcer right above the band and I forgot what happened to the second one. He stated Dr. Fobi is doing it in Europe and it in another country I forgot which one. I think he called it Vertical sleeve banding.  Have anybody ever heard of this? Your thoughts? He said I can do research and let him know if I want to do it the morning of surgery. 

huggs4life
on 8/30/11 9:00 am
I have not heard of this but I will call and ask my doctor also. I have had the procedure already and It was never mentioned to me before my surgery. Thanks for the info
There is only one way to live life and that is to keep everything in the positive. Your life will be more meaningful to yourself and others who are blessed to be in your circle. Huggs4Life                
Hislady
on 8/30/11 9:06 am - Vancouver, WA
Well I don't know about this particular surgerybut as an unhappy lapbander I would be very careful about anykind of a band going around the stomach anywhere! We are seeing so so many bandsters suffering from erosions that I would be very careful considering this. You don't have alot of stomach left to play with if something goes wrong,
Rekeca
on 8/30/11 9:34 am - NC
That definitely crossed my mind. That is what I am concerned about.  That is why I asked about complications. He stated there were none but you never know.

imchatti
on 8/30/11 10:15 am - NJ
I think there is a group on here called VBG with *i think* stands for vertical gastro. banding .... you might want to check that group out and see what they have to say about it. ........
wert
on 8/30/11 9:40 am - MN
Until someone can prove to me otherwise I wouldn't have any band anywhere for any reason. Period!

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

USAF Wife
on 8/30/11 10:17 am
NOT no, BUT HELL NO! ! ! 

If their technique is set, and their not cutting too far away from the pylorus this SHOULD NOT be a concern.

NO way on God's Green Earth would I allow them to put a ring around my sleeve. NO way, no how.

I don't think I can stress the NO WAY enough.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

SASSI11
on 8/30/11 10:48 am
I aksed my surgeon what the chances are of stretching my sleeve.  He said approx. 10%.

smbergie200
on 8/30/11 10:54 am - Naples, FL
Foreign body around my sleeve. Not in a million years! 

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 11:23 am
Sounds like an experimental cross of the Fobi pouch and the sleeve.. suggestion: SAY NO!
You do not want a stoma (what the band is creating).. In fact, I'd highly consider looking into another surgeon that is far more confident that he is creating a good sleeve to start with, this is setting off some serious alarm bells with me.. Sorry.
Most Active