Pre-Op Questions

Theresa Z.
on 8/31/11 10:56 am - Dayton, OH
 I am a super newbie and have tried the search bar but I have many questions I am not getting answered. 

Background:
*No surgery date yet but should be soon, within next few weeks
*Self pay (that sucks so bad but hope its worth it)
*No pre-op diet required, only  24 hour liquid diet fast thing....(what the office told me, haven't seen the surgeon yet) --- Is this normal???

What if I want to do the liquid diet, sounds like it is something that is good to do before the pre-op.  I want success so will do what I need to make sure I get there.

What does the liquid diet consist of? (specifically) Any other pre-op pointers?

thanks everyone!!!
Palmettosleeve
on 8/31/11 11:22 am - Pawleys Island, SC
i met my surgeon during my consultation but didnt see him again until the last apt before surgery. you should prob have already met him. ask to meet him next time! the purpose of the preop diet is to make your liver less fatty so that the dr has an easier time getting to your tummy, so your surgery is safer. i had to do a 3 week preop diet of nothing but protein shakes called muscle milk light (they sell them at gnc, walmart, anywhere really). you could use any protein shake as long as it has less than 6 sugars and at least 20 protein. if you feel you need to do it to be safe, i would. losing weight preop is always a good idea. some drs require 2 shakes a day then 1 meal w/ lean protein & veggies. no startches, no sugars, no carbs. basically, just eat healthier in the next few weeks and try to lose weight. the more weight you lose, the less fatty your liver, the safer your surgery. good luck!
starting weight: 341, goal weight: 150, 1st goal: 250, 2nd goal: 199, final goal: 150

IrishColleen
on 8/31/11 11:59 am - Owosso, MI
 I was on a limited diet of less than 800 calories per day, very low carbs, etc supplemented with a protein shake or two every day.  Mine were packaged meals sold by the doctor's office.  At first I was against this but I also knew that on my own I would quickly return to my old habits.  I lost 11 pound pre-op but most important, I was taken off of the fattening foods before surgery so it wasn't a complete dietary change.

Post surgery I had 2 weeks of clear liquids, then 4 weeks of mushies.  At 6 weeks post-op I progressed to "real" food but told to focus on protein first, lo carbs, under 900 calories a day.  I probably get in closer to 600 and feel great.  I take my multi vitamin to make sure I'm not lacking too many nutrients.

My personal opinion, if there is a food that you really love - have it now and cross it off your list.  Then have your next favorite, etc.  You will be able to eat most of them again (if you want to and after you're about a year out) so don't think you'll never have it again.  Except maybe alfredo, etc.!!   LOL  There's not too much healthy in that but it sure tastes good.  

The 2 week pre-op diet you choose will help you to get your head in the game which is half the battle post-op.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

See you on the loser's bench!

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
Theresa Z.
on 8/31/11 12:15 pm, edited 8/31/11 12:33 pm - Dayton, OH
I am so frustrated with all this mess. I feel things are disorganized and I really felt I should have seen the surgeon by now. I asked about pre-op diet and she said no, just a 24 hour liquid fast or something

I really am feeling frustrated and wondering if I should go somewhere else, but I really hate to do all this again. I think I will call the other hospital tomorrow and ask about transferring the info and what that would entail. I just am not sure...
Jan G.
on 8/31/11 12:18 pm - WI
Well congrats on getting your sleeve done soon!!

If you are only doing a 24 hour liquid diet..its probably a "clear" one vs a full liquid whi*****luded protein drinks. They want your tummy/bowels empty before surgery.

CLEAR liquids is water, and Sugar free drinks/popsicles and broth..maybe jello too.

So.. make a list of questions you want to ask the surgeon, like will you have a drain, how long in hosp..things like that. If you take meds, how you will be taking them while tummy heals.

Good luck hon.. it will all work out~
Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

Theresa Z.
on 8/31/11 12:45 pm - Dayton, OH
 Thank you everyone for the support. I am fine doing a pre-op and just would like a list... anyone have the one their dr gave them handy? I actually have problems with eating, my appetite is nothing right now. Extra protein might help me.

On the subject of Alfredo, I am excited for this... I am a representative for a company called Wildtree that sells all natural herb & spice blends and mixes and grapeseed oil and the Alfredo blend contains low fat, low sodium, no preservatives and is delicious!!  I am all stocked up to use my products after I can eat solids again and really ready to get back into the business (right now I feel like a bad misrepresentation of the company due to my size... hard to sell healthy looking like me!)

I want this so bad but also don't want to do anything without making sure it is right for me.

Thank you for the great questions, I will write those down to have!!
Most Active