I think ADHD might be my problem

AsuraDunnigan
on 9/6/11 8:18 am - Detroit, MI
Well, I always seem to be Gung Ho with losing weight, but when I am offered a baked good or I have an opportunity to eat something fried I take it.  I have been pretty down on myself.  I have tried every diet known to man and had weight loss surgery still to end up still obese.  Well, a couple months ago I decided to see a therapist and although she is great I still was not improving or making changes.  Actually, I was getting worse.  My weight went up to 255 lbs.  A lot of my clothes became tight and I would pretty much avoid them.  I then decided to see a psychiatrist to address my ADHD.  I had been previously diagnosed, but discontinued taking medication when pregnant with my middle child (now 6 years old).  So, I started taking Adderall extended about a week ago and I am down to 245 lbs.  I only feel mildly focused, but focused enough to make better food choices.  I am no longer constantly obsessing about food.  I think I may be ok.  I am very hopeful.

Ticker represents first goal.          
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 8:20 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Good job friend.  I also have ADHD and cycled through a host of medications, most of them made me feel psychotic.  :{  For me, I just had to get a strategy and structure going, because the more choices I *could* make, the less good choices I *seem* to make.  :}  Its not good or bad, its just the way I am!

I hope this works so very well for you!  Its nice to be able to focus for a minute without...

hey!  Butterflies! 
:}
DragonGirl
on 9/6/11 8:28 am - MN
I was recently diagnosed with ADD. I've always had it and known it, and up until this summer I thought I had a good handle on it. This summer has been really tough, and I thought I definitely needed some help. I saw my doctor and did some tests, and I definitely had some issues. I started on meds a few weeks ago, and it's already making a huge difference. I also am seeing a side benefit of less head hunger and better focus on following the rules. You are certainly not alone! =)

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
MN_Mama
on 9/6/11 9:34 am
Oh yeah,  I totally get the "enthusiastic without the follow through" aspects of ADD.  No official diagnosis, they didn't have labels like that around when I was a kid, but I could be the poster child-- as bad as that dog in "UP," and not just squirrels....

Glad you're open to trying new sources of help until you find the one that works for you.  Sometimes it's a combination, but you're on the right path.  Keep on working it, and let us know how you're doing. 

wannalose4boo09
on 9/6/11 10:26 am - Madison, IN
VSG on 01/16/12
How do you know if you have ADHD or ADD as an adult?  What r u symptoms?

AsuraDunnigan
on 9/7/11 4:46 am - Detroit, MI
I am a therapist so I actually was aware of it for many years.  I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist.  I also completed several scales which are probably available online.  Disorganized, forgetful, interrupts others, fail to complete tasks, etc.
Ticker represents first goal.          
Most Active