Info Please about VSG

Amy-Rae
on 9/6/11 7:25 am - NC
 Hi! I was going to have Lapband with imbrication, but now because of some insurance troubles because the procedure is so new, my doctor wants me to do the sleeve. Can anyone please give me your thoughts on this procedure. I am kind of scared of having most of my stomach removed. Was is easy for you? Would you recommend it? Would you do it again? Were there complications? Any info will be appreciated :)

SassyItalian
on 9/6/11 7:41 am, edited 9/5/11 7:46 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

welcome to the forum..

I wanted to respond because the first surgeon I saw wanted to give me a lap-band..after doing weeks of research I decided to go with the VSG.

From my research and personal experience as well as experiences with friends I 100% feel the VSG is not only superior to the lap-band but also much, much safer. Though they permanently remove the stomach, the procedure is pretty straight forward. With the band they are placing in a foreign object that does PERMANENT damage to the stomach and esophagus over time. The rates of people needing emergency removal of the band and/or revision to VSG or RNY are astronomical.

Keep doing your research and you will realize so many people have problems with their bands and then dont really even lose much weight. The VSG initially is a scary thing to grasp, but its pretty straight forward and once you are done with surgery your chances of complications are LOW.

This is the best thing I have done for myself, my life is pretty normal..well better than normal!.. after VSG, I live normally, no getting sick for a week after band fills and unfills. I eat what I want, in moderation, sticking to plan. I dont get sick. I love being active and feel amazing.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.
Good luck with your research!!
xo

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

BrenGram48
on 9/6/11 8:27 am - OH
I had the sleve and it was the best thing I could of done. No problem with surgery or after surgery. I am six months post opp and 73 lbs lighter. It  worked great for me !! Although everyone is different. Everyone I met and talked to had no problems and did great. Not a miracle worker you have to do your part.  As in every wieghtloss surgery you have to do your part, But it is the best thing I ever did. I was first going to do the gastric bypass but the doctor also recomened the sleve because of health problems and I am so thankful he did and I agreed. My life is so different , I would do it all over again !!

HW- 290  SW-255  CW-189   GW-155
Birdie55
on 9/6/11 7:53 am
Here is a link to a bunch of information that is helpful to someone thinking about having VSG surgery.  

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/  

I personally would not have had any other weight loss surgery.  I would have VSG surgery again, I did not have any complications and reached goal slowly, but within one year.  

I would suggest reading what you can in the above link and look through the posts on this site.  Then if you have questions, there is a search box at the top right of this page.  People tend to ask the same questions over and over, so chances are your question has been asked and answered by lots of people.

Good luck in your decision making.  There are a lot of us here that can help if you still have questions. 

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

tdjf_3
on 9/6/11 8:02 am
Yes it was easy for me but only after I did my own research Yes I would HIGHLY recommend it? Yes I would do it again in a second. I had no complication. Feel free to go look at me pic I did a pretty good job keeping them up dated as my journey progressed

God Bless & Happy Losing!!!!                 
Happy966
on 9/6/11 8:43 am

I am new to this journey - just had surgery 8 days ago.  I wish wish wish I could have done this without surgery.  I have struggled with obesity since childhood.  I weigh today what I weighed when I graduated high school.  I worked for many years on my eating issues in Overeaters Anonymous, and I am eternally grateful for what I have learned there.  But, I could not maintain my weight loss.  I feel in some ways that by having surgery, I made the BIGGEST surrender, which is that even with my higher power, a strong program, good meeting attendance, working the steps, I could not put together years of abstinence without relapse, weight gain, yadi yadi yada.

I was scared off of the bypass early on (2003?) and started exploring the lap band in 2010.  I was ultimately unable to handle the idea of the port permanent in my body, tying me to doctors' visits and onging risks of complication.  I read a lot about the sleeve, but in 2010 my insurance did not cover it, so I quit thinking about surgery. 

In early 2011, I read my insurance info online again and discovered they had started approving VSG in February.  Yes, I had LOTS of reservation about removing the majority of a perfectly healthy organ.  You'd be nutty not to.  I feel about 95% about this decision, still have some doubts, that's just the kind of person I am.  I know surgery will not cure my food issues, and let me tell you, I have food issues.  BUT I was willing to take a chance to feel like might be able eat on plan for the long term, and come back on plan when things go nutty. 

My recovery has been amazingly smooth so far.  You will hear a whole spectrum of experiences, but it seems more easy than hard.  No complications, but I am dedicated to following my food plan (my surgeon's), drinking lots of water, and checking in to OH for support.

Good luck!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Foxbins
on 9/6/11 9:03 am
I would certainly do it again.  My surgery had no complications and I recovered quickly and easily.  I reached a normal BMI this morning for the first time in more than 20 years and my surgery was in Jan 2011. 

I look at it like this:  What did my big stomach ever do for me except clamor to be full and send me hunger signals?  I much prefer my little stomach which is satisfied on much less food and I am also one of the lucky ones who lost my hunger.  I recommend VSG if you have the self-discipline to stick to your surgeon's food plan.  I did and it worked for me.
joeswife
on 9/6/11 9:47 am - CA
I can tell you from personal experience the band did nothing, nada for me. I have had it for about 5 years and happily having it removed when I have vsg in a month. I am so happy to have this forum to help me through my pre-op and post-op journey! I am so encouraged by all the success stories and successful journeys I see. I am finally hopeful that I will be released from this beast and leasrn and embrace the vsg lifestyle!

Thank you for all those who contribute here!

MN_Mama
on 9/6/11 9:55 am
I studied Lapband, Roux-N-Y and the Sleeve. 

Lapband was too risky for me, too many complications, risks of damage to my organs, and fussing around to find the right amount of fluid in the band.   If I only had 100 pounds or less and without co-morbidities I may have considered it more, but at my size it was out of the question. 

The RNY has been done safely for years, my doctor had much more experience with it and I would have been a good match for it.  I disliked having my intestines re-routed and the severe malabsorption it creates.  My father developed dangerous ulcers after age 70, and the Bypass leaves the stomach behind to provide a home for ulcers with no way to see or treat them.  Besides this, I have joint and back pain that may require NSaids and other pain relievers down the road and they would never have been an option with the Bypass.

That left me with the Sleeve.  I have had no problems with it, my only complication was pneumonia-- I caught a cold 2 days after getting home.  I can eat any kind of food I enjoyed before, I don't have the taste changes my GBS friends have, just have to start with my 2-3 oz of protein first, followed by veggies, followed by a bite of whatever looks good.    Besides making sure I take my vitamins and get my water and exercise in, my life changes are easy for me to follow. 

I've lost almost 110 lbs in 6 months and the only trouble I've had is the trouble I bring on myself (eating too fast or one bite too many, forgetting my water when I run around during the day, etc.).   

Now, you ARE on the Vertical Sleeve Forum, so I suggest you look at others like the Gastric Bypass discussion on DailyStrength.com, and really study the differences,  but I know I made the right choice for me. 

Welcome and let us know what you decide, OK?

VickyBT
on 9/6/11 9:56 am, edited 9/6/11 9:56 am - MI
Happy966...great comments!
I can totally relate.
Best wishes with your recovery.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Most Active