VSG = Highest Leak Rate of all WLS?

PlanetJanet
on 9/10/11 11:43 am
Hi, everyone -
I just attended a WLS info session.  The surgeon was sharing his complication statistics and also nationwide stats.  He said that VSG has the highest leak rate of all three surgeries (he doesn't do DS).  It has a 6% leak rate nationally (in U.S.) and his practice has a 2% VSG leak rate.  He has a 0% leak rate for RNY and lap-band.

Do these stats sound right to you guys?  I've been poking around the web to try to find other statistics to compare these to, but I haven't found anything that says VSG has the highest leak rate.  The surgeon said it was because the incision line on the stomach is so long - there is just more area to leak.

fatfree2b
on 9/10/11 11:53 am, edited 9/10/11 11:53 am - TX
fatfree2b
on 9/10/11 11:55 am, edited 9/9/11 11:56 pm - TX

<1.5% leak rate.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 11:57 am
 I am pretty new and the VSG is one of the surgeries that I am considering. I don't know that much, but if the Dr. doesn't do DS, could the rate be higher because there is a larger staple line than the RNY?
mini_me_ now
on 9/10/11 12:45 pm

Well its not typical of all surgeons, but i guess with so many new ones getting into doing the sleeve since its become not investigational for alot of insurance companies.. it might be that high  nationally now... but its definatly not that high for surgeons who are well skilled..

im not sure id be going to one that has a leak  rate of  2%... when i had my surgery it was at a military hospital and their leak rate was not even close to 2% it was
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Jasonm11
on 9/10/11 12:56 pm
Personal opinion but it sounds like surgeons like him are the reason why there is the leak rate stats at all....while you have a risk with all surgeons and surgeries, find a skilled, experienced surgeon and you will see those stats drop much lower.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
doggz109
on 9/10/11 12:57 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Those stats don't sound right.  It all depends on surgeon skill of course....and the chance of a leak is quite a bit higher with a revision....than with a fresh sleeve.

Still don't think it is that high though.....more like 2% all around.

frisco
on 9/10/11 1:02 pm

That's why you want a guy like Dr. Cirangle .3%

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 1:08 pm, edited 9/10/11 1:09 pm
sunnymicki
on 9/10/11 1:15 pm
I would investigate other surgeons. 

First of, my surgeon told me the national average leak rate was 1-2%.  Now I don't know where he got his statistics, so no idea who is closer to the truth there.

But my surgeon's stat is 0.3% leak rate.  So there are surgeons out there that are beating the 2% you were quoted.

Also ask questions about technique as well, like do they get right up against the bougie when they make the sleeve, do they oversew, and do they also remove the part of the stomach near the pyloric valve (terminology escapes me) so that the sleeve looks like a banana, and doesn't have that big square area at the bottom?  That is important because that area can hold quite a bit of volume if it isn't removed.  Since this isn't a standardized operation, you have to ask exactly what the surgeon plans on making your sleeve look like, not just what bougie size he is using.

Also look at his patient's % of excess weight lost stats, as long term as he has them.  You want them to be better than the national average as well. 
Most Active