Nutrition question...need Potassium!

C. Champion
on 9/19/11 8:12 am - Minneapolis, MN
OK so I had started drinking the G2 Gatoraide to help with dehydration a few weeks ago and it was helping great. I was getting my fluids in, 64oz a day like I was supposed to and everything. Then I realize that in one 32oz G2 there is about 18 carbs   so that is 36 carbs just from that in one day!! It says low calorie right on the front so for some reason I guess I thought that meant "diet" ahh...no! So I switched to crystal light for the last 2 days and now I woke up this morning and my muscles in my legs and arms are very sore and feel very week. Is this because I am not getting in the 220 mg of Potassium a day? So I grabbed one of my left over G2's and drank that throughout this first part of the day and I feel fine again. Thoughts? What other ways can I get in Potassium without carbs??
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/11 8:28 am
Other than supplements, potassium is fairly abundant in many foods including meat & fish & yogurt.. Chances are, what you are feeling is not from stopping the G2. If in doubt, call your dr and get checked! You can look up potassium food lists and see what is best if you think you need to up it. 

SassyItalian
on 9/19/11 9:00 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
because you are so soon out it is really hard to get in all the potassium from food.

v-8 is a good source of potassium and may give you more than the g2 (not 100% sure) im sure it has carbs but even drinking a little every day may help.

milk is a great source of calcium, its one of the reasons i make my protein shakes with milk. about 8g carbs per cup, its not crazy ridiculous.

avocados are a good source of potassium and also contain healthy fat. also artichokes. and of course bananas but they have alot of carbs..

i know what a pain this is, i was low potassium and had to supplement with an rx until i could eat enough to get a sufficient amount from food.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

SassyItalian
on 9/19/11 9:03 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
hollykim
on 9/19/11 9:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
It may not be only potassium you are lacking. Magnesium oxide defeciencies can also cause leg cramps.

$00 mg of magnesium oxide once a day cured my leg cramps. Now I take it every day and no problems.

Make sure it is magnesium OXIDE and not magnesium CITRATE which is the pooping one!
Gl

C. Champion
on 9/19/11 10:12 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thanks everyone for the good advice!
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!

Foxbins
on 9/19/11 10:36 am

11 oz. (1 can) of low-sodium V-8 has 70 calories, 1180 mg of potassium, 15 g carbs, (3 gm fiber) and 3 gms protein.  I low-carb and drink it a couple times a week to help with leg cramps.

califsleevin
on 9/20/11 2:19 am - CA
As a reference, we should be getting in about 4700mg of potassium a day, so that 220mg from the gatorade, while helpful, is not a significant amount (though it could be just enough to tip you over to being symptomatic.) As noted, it is difficult to get enough potassium with our limited diets, and the typical American diet that most of us were used to pre-op tends to be deficient as well (in exchange for overloading on sodium....) I was normally getting in the requisite amount preop, but am running at about one third that level now, so that is something that we (PCP and I) are watching. It is something that you should be monitoring with your labs, as it is not something that we can readily supplement without prescription.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

C. Champion
on 9/20/11 4:35 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thank you, I have an appointment with my PCP on Tuesday I will see if they will do my labs as well!!

Most Active