Is it possible to cut out wheat and dairy post-op?

kch561
on 9/20/11 8:55 am - CT
Hi,

I'm hoping to get sleeved in about 2 months. Recently, I've read in various places that eliminating gluten and caseine (dairy protein) from your diet can help with anxiety (which, unfortunately, I suffer from), so I'm considering  trying  this, if for no other reason than curiosity. (I've also read that it supposedly reduces bloat and clears up skin problems.)

I plan on asking my NUT about this at my next visit (#6 of 6, woo hoo!), but I wanted to also check with this board as well to see if anyone post-op follows this diet and, if so, how they do it.

Thanks so much!

Kelly

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/20/11 8:58 am
I can't really help with your question, but I can tell you that Syntrax Nectar protein powders are lactose and gluten free.  At least the three flavors I use are.  Kiwi Strawberry, Twisted Cherry and Crystal Sky.  You can order samples at www.mybariatricpantry.com

Good luck with your surgery, anxiety and diet choices!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

sunnymicki
on 9/20/11 10:21 am
I'm not post-op (yet!) so I am basing this off what I have read from other people.  But it seems that it is not unusual to become lactose intolerant after surgery, and those people still do very well without the dairy products.  As far as wheat - many people are so low carb during the losing phase that wheat doesn't make it into their diet much if at all.  I would think it is very do-able. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 1:35 pm
I have experience with this, my oldest is autistic and we did the diet for a couple years.

On this program gluten will be easier to get rid of. BUT, I recommend you research just what ingredients have casien and gluten. It's way more than bread and milk products. Example: maltodextrin is gluten based.

That diet is hard. If I was to recommend anything, I would say wait until you have your energy back. Adding a very difficult diet on top of surgery recovery, a new life and changes to me is STRESSFUL.

Or maybe start gluten free first, then work on the casien.

Just be realistic and do tons of research. The amount of foods that have casien and gluten are massive. At least gluten free products are in stores.

Also be warned, the replacement for wheat flours are corn, rice and buckwheat. All way more carbs. Usually you kid the three and add a binder.

Focus on recovery first and don't make things difficult right away.
Most Active