Meal replacements and plateaus

caralikesglass
on 9/23/11 3:11 am
Has anyone used a meal replacement for breaking a plateau? Also, is the term "meal replacement" just a catch-all phrase for the protein drinks we are already drinking? (For me, that would be the costco premier protein shakes.) Is it something that is used for all three meals or just one? Has anyone here had good luck breaking a plateau this way? Any and all info is appreciated! I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Highest Weight: 317 Surgery Weight: 268 Current Weight: 179.7  

Paige V.
on 9/23/11 3:13 am - Gainesville, FL
Ive found that "meal replacements" have higher carbs that just regular protein products

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

roundater
on 9/23/11 3:32 am - Lincoln, NE
I've found that increased physical activity helps me break a stall (i.e. more time at the gym)
Rich Sonderegger

califsleevin
on 9/23/11 4:13 am, edited 9/23/11 4:23 am - CA
It seems that a change of some sort is a common theme to breaking plateaus - ramping up the workout as Rich suggests, or simply changing it. Some find that increasing or simply changing their diet for a short time does it - boosting an 800 cal/day diet to 11-1200 for a few days and then back again, or as you suggest, the meal replacements for a few days may do the trick. If you're on a low carb plan, try boosting the carbs for a few days, or vice versa if you're not counting carbs, try low carb for a while - either will alter your metabolism some and can wake things up again. Try different things as what may work for one person may not work for others.

Also, take a close look at your overall intake and exercise program, as you are in the area where you might be bottoming out. The VSG on average helps lose around 70% of our excess weight - some do better as we see here which means that some do less well and a lot wind up, well, average. Beating those averages means that some individuals are particularly well suited to the sleeve and naturally lose more, started out at lower weights, worked harder at the program, or some combination of these factors.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active